• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby weights- Not sure if this will interest anyone other than me

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I've been weighing the foster babies every night before feeding time.

I've done it for two weeks and find it fascinating. Not sure if anyone else will though. :lol: All weights are in grams.

You can clearly tell which one is Wish! (ETA- the chart says Giz and the graph says Fizz, but they are the same bunny!).

Fostersweightschart.jpg

FostersBabyweights.jpg

So that's my mathsy post of the week (I'm quite enjoying doing maths again. Saddo, I know!).

That's really interesting, thanks for posting it :) Are you going to continue it till they stop growing?

PS - socks is a big fatty ;)

That is interesting... are they all from the same litter as there is a fair difference between the biggest and the smallest?

ETA Ignore me.. just seen the thread about these babies :love:

Last edited:
Yup, I'm going to keep doing it for as long as I have them all, and for Wish, until she has fully grown or she dies, whichever comes first.

They are all littermates, but Wish has some pretty hefty problems. We think she has the Max Factor gene, but essentially her problems are sparse fur (so she doesn't keep heat in, she needs two snugglesafes to stay warm- that's how we've stopped her having dips in weight), she has breathing problems, she has some sort of stomach issue (my vet believes she is fundamentally misformed inside, so is not absorbing food as she should). Wish also has something else going on, but I'm not sure what. Originally we thought she was deaf, but having tested that, that's clearly not the case, but she is lacking something somewhere, not sure if its neurological as opposed to a sense though.

The other four are much of a muchness. They will gain roughly the same amount of weight, and Wish roughly gains half of what they gain.

There is a thread with many pics of them in in the photos forum.

Oh, and I'm really glad I'm not the only one who finds this interesting :lol:

The rabbits that produced this lot appeared to be a lionhead and a dwarf lop, but we obviously don't know what is in their genes and what is behind what they present as. They look like a clutch of lop crosses, and only one shows proper lionheadedness. So I guess for all intents and purposes they are lionhead x dwarf lop.

ok thanks. I have suspisions that one of mine might have max factor gene. He also has wierd fur and has had many problems

These 5 have another 2 younger siblings who are now 4 weeks old (this clutch are 8 weeks), and those two are the same as Wish.

They are lovely, lovely bunnies, but require so much care. If I'm right, you're a breeder? Have those two that produced that kit been mated before?

Max Factor gene

Max Factor ~ This is a gene mutation that showed up in the offspring from a Netherland named "Max". It manifests as kits born with their eyes open, and often severely deformed legs and feet. Sometimes called "frogs" for the flipper-like feet and splayed hind legs, "aliens" for the strange appearance of the open eyes, or simply "maxes". Max Factor kits can survive but it's best that they don't. Euthanasia is recommended. They may be blind due to the open eyes at birth being prone to infection, and the skeletal deformities will require special needs care. The Max Factor gene has been passed down through generations of Netherlands, and can appear in other breeds that used the ND in crosses. Oddly, while the gene is very bad when expressed, it's said that the Max Factor gene can produce the best type and fur on the rest of the litter. Go here or here to see photos of this defect.
Spring Creek Gems
From http://www.moonshinestud.com/moregenetics.htm

Wish's younger siblings present with the eye problems. Wish herself doesn't, but does have bald bits on her feet where the fur meets. She also has limited muscle tone and can't struggle.

I considered and then discarded the option of her being a Max Factor until Kris said what was going on with the younger siblings because they sounds almost typical of them, and she doesn't, but she clearly does have problems.

When you read that, in relation to Wish, it doesn't make too much sense, but makes more sense to her younger siblings, so we related that back to Wish. We may be right, chances are we are wrong, but it provides a basis to work off.

http://www.tranquilacresrabbitry.com/article-MaxFactor.html

For Wish she only meets the last one. I need to go and count her toes though. For her younger siblings, they meet two, at least.

Reading all that I'm thinking she may not have that, but possibly she does. Who knows! We won't ever really know unless we PM after she dies which I can't see would happen.

If I'm right, you're a breeder? Have those two that produced that kit been mated before?

It was the mum first litter. but the dads 3rd. His first litter was fine, second litter 2 kits had problems (odd fur, infected eyes, one had a twisted foot), third litter the 2 kits also had problems (one kit's problems didnt show until she was about 3 months when she sadly passed away from repeated collapsing :? , and the other kit is my little Shaun, he has fur/eye/ feet and suspect brain problems).

So as i said, I am unsure to exactly what it is (and as you said, probably wont find out). I have been toying with the idea of EC...I have read it can cause eye lesions in the womb, and could possible cause brain/ development problems?
Also the kit from the third litter died from collapsing (suspected EC) and Shaun has suffered from 2 episodes of collapsing/ paraylisis also suspected EC)

Whatever it is, I decided to discontinue the line. I am not prepared to risk the chance of having more problem kits.

It was the mum first litter. but the dads 3rd. His first litter was fine, second litter 2 kits had problems (odd fur, infected eyes, one had a twisted foot), third litter the 2 kits also had problems (one kit's problems didnt show until she was about 3 months when she sadly passed away from repeated collapsing :? , and the other kit is my little Shaun, he has fur/eye/ feet and suspect brain problems).

So as i said, I am unsure to exactly what it is (and as you said, probably wont find out). I have been toying with the idea of EC...I have read it can cause eye lesions in the womb, and could possible cause brain/ development problems?
Also the kit from the third litter died from collapsing (suspected EC) and Shaun has suffered from 2 episodes of collapsing/ paraylisis also suspected EC)

Whatever it is, I decided to discontinue the line. I am not prepared to risk the chance of having more problem kits.

Aw, that's really sad. Poor bunnies. One of those sort of feeling around in the dark situations, not really sure what is going on or what is happening and why.

I find genetics fascinating, but its very sad when you see the outcomes of such defects.

Good idea to keep a record, was really interesting to see the weights. Socks and Fizz are the fattest I see, little poppets!

Also found the link about the Max Factor interesting!!!

Back