• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mega Vibes Needed for Freeda has Stomach Blockage (I'm Loosing Her) :-(

HoppingBinky

Mama Doe
Oh god,:cry: not a week after loosing Malone now I face loosing Freeda. I took her to the vet this morning as she was not eating,drinking,pooing or weeing and was just lying on her side. The vet checked her blood sugar and it was well over 19 wich indecated to him she has a blockage somewere. Her stomach is swollen with fluid and is generally rather poorly. I was told that i had three options: either treat her with a gut stimulant and give her pineapple juice, have surgery wich they have only ever done once as it's a very risky & complicated at the end the bun didn't make a recovery anyway or have her put to sleep.
I fear that tomorrow i will have to make a decision and i can't honestly say i want her to go through any more pain or a procedure wich she may not recover from anyway.
Any advice, vibes or opinions would be welcome. I feel so pants at the moment and feel like i'm letting my buns down.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh hun :( sending lots of vibes. You havent let them down it could happen to anyone and it so is not your fault xxxxxxx

h no - thats awful -

I have never heard of a blood sugar test for this - I expect someone else will have done.

However if it is a true blockage (which needs surgery) then gut motility drugs are NOT advised - so if they have given her those presumably its actually an impaction or stasis????

Have they given her pain relief and subcutaneous fluids ?

I honestly dont think giving anything sugary is advisable ..............

So sorry to read this:cry:.
I'm sorry i don't have any advice but am sending loads of get well vibes to Freeda x

How awful for you, i am hoping for a miracle for your Freeda.
I was told about blood suger tests by a very rabbit savvy vet, she said you can tell the amount of pain they are in by the sugar levels.

The vet advised me to give her the pure pineapple juice as apparently there is an enzyme in the pineapple wich helps break up the blockage.:? I've never had a bun like this so i'm just going on what the vet said (he looked it up in vet medicine book).
I'm just at work and praying to god to help her, thank you for all your advice and vibes.

I asked about pain killers and fluid and was advised that they didn't want to overload her as her stomach is full and that painkillers would slow the gut down. They will think about painkillers tomorrow but this is when i have to make the decision what i want doing.
Do you think that if nothing works by tomorrow i should let her go to the bridge or go for the op?:cry:

Last edited:
could you get her to another vet that has done this op before?
Though i do realise descisons are going to have to be made quikly.

The vet advised me to give her the pure pineapple juice as apparently there is an enzyme in the pineapple wich helps break up the blockage.:? I've never had a bun like this so i'm just going on what the vet said (he looked it up in vet medicine book).
I'm just at work and praying to god to help her, thank you for all your advice and vibes.

We give our buns a little pineapple juice it does have enzyme's in it that can help break up the blockage but we don't give them to much of it.

When they say a blockage, do they mean it's because the gut has shut down and there's a ball of food etc at the top/bottom of the gut?

If so, this is exactly what Bob had with his first stasis bout. They x-rayed him and we could see a satsuma sized mass ( a 'natural' clump of hair and food). They treated him with pineapple juice (exactly the same reason you've given) massaged the mass as much as they could, gave him metaclopromide and eventually had to give him cisapride (which is now illegal so there's something else out there that vets use but I'm afraid I don't know the name). He did come through it it just takes some time (4 days for Bob).

Are your vets very bun savvy? If so then hopefully you can trust them.
Surgery was the very very last option for our vets and if it's like Bob's situation, IMO I would suggest the gut drugs and fluids, pineapple juice (and Recovery syringed food) until there really is no other option.

It was the cisapride without a doubt that saved him - on both occasions.

Stay positive and push the vets to research if you don't think they've tried everything.

Lots of vibes. xxx

I asked about pain killers and fluid and was advised that they didn't want to overload her as her stomach is full and that painkillers would slow the gut down. They will think about painkillers tomorrow but this is when i have to make the decision what i want doing.
Do you think that if nothing works by tomorrow i should let her go to the bridge or go for the op?:cry:

Personally I'd seek an opinion from another Vet tonight. It does not sound as though the one you have seen has much of a clue about Rabbit medicine.

Pain relief is absolutely essential and there is no justification for with-holding it. Fluids should be administered subcutaneously or IV, these too are essential.

If the Rabbit is bloated/fully obstructed gut motility medication is contra-indicated. An abdominal Xray would identify an obstruction and if it is a total one then immediate surgery is needed. This is a high risk procedure, but in a true obstruction its the only option other than PTS.

If there is no obstruction and gut motility meds are given then a combination of Metoclopromide and Ranitidine generally have the best effect.

I hope that Freeda can pull through

Last edited:
Back