• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Interesting chat with the vet!

Sami M

Mama Doe
Well I took Blossom to the vets today for her spay. Was talking to the vet about getting Blossom a husbun once she is fighting fit. Anyway the vet went on to say that I wouldnt be able to bond blossom as she is too old! And i would be better off getting her a GUINIEA PIG as a companion!!!! :shock::shock::shock: I could not believe it!!!

:shock::shock:

How many other people has he given that advice to :cry:
I hope you told him straight that Gps and bunnies shouldnt be housed together.

How old is blossom?

I kind of stood there in shock and said I dont think they are suposed to live together and she said its fine!!! Blossom is a year old x

:shock::shock::shock: how are people ever meant to know about anything if even vets tell them the wrong things!! :cry:

does this vet treat your rabbits?? :? i'd be worried about what they know. :?

Thats a load of old cobblers isn't it, it's worrying though as a lot of people who wouldn't know any better might actually believe it :? Joejoe was about 1 1/2 when i bonded him with Jess and he was fine, in fact he's been a much happier rabbit ever since. One bit of advice my vet gave me was to try him with a baby female as he's immediately feel like boss and she'd still be used to being with other buns and it was fine, but you can bond rabbits of any age as far as i can gather from other people on here.

:shock::shock::shock: how are people ever meant to know about anything if even vets tell them the wrong things!! :cry:

does this vet treat your rabbits?? :? i'd be worried about what they know. :?

Yeah, this was my reaction too. Hells teeth, what learning did she get :shock::shock:

I must say they have been fab with all my buns especially with the spays - if they hadnt id definately be leaving - but like you say its so sad that they are giving people this advice!

She considered a year too old? I'm bonding Hazel and fiver on Hazel's first birthday! I must be a loony! Better go out and buy a guinea pig!:roll:

ALL my rabbits have been over a year old when they were bonded....and I see buns paired at 4+ regularly. :?

Sounds like your vet needs to put in a few extra hours of rabbit training to me...I would be severely worried about having him/her treat your buns :?

Goodness me, all my buns were just recently bonded together and only Smudge is a year, the others are all older (3, 3 and 4)

Back