• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help - both bunnies not well.

fifi0529

Alpha Buck
I was at the vet yesterday with both Lily and Pip. Lily has a lump on the underside of her belly and has to go in on Thurs to have it removed. The vet thinks it ma be a cyst or tumour. She seems ok in herself - eating and drinking normally, running around etc. Hope she is strong enough to survive anaesthetic :(

Pip moulted a few weeks ago and since then she has been very selective with her feeding. She has not touched her pellets - excel. She has been eating her veg and some hay. The vet checked her teeth and they seemed fine but she has lost weight and is now 1.3kg. I have bought some other brands of food - wagg, muesli to try and tempt her but no luck so far.

I am very worried about both of them :(

Sorry to hear that your buns are both unwell :(. It must be so stressful for you.

Sorry I've no helpful info for what could be wrong. I did want to offer some support though.

I do hope the op goes ok on Thurs. How old is Lily?

This must be such a stressful time for you, our thoughts are with you.
Hope the operation goes well. Keep reminding her that she is a strong brave girly and she can get through it.

How old is Lily and has she been spayed? How about Pip?

What was Pip's weight before she lost weight and how quickly has the weight dropped? Did the vet check her back teeth as well as the front? Moulting often causes a sluggish gut so it may not be teeth related at all, but instead due to gut hypomotility. Does she exhibit any other symptoms? Weight loss if significant should prompt your vet to run some bloods perhaps to see if there is something going on that is being missed. It is important that she keeps eating and keeps her fluids up in this hot weather. What did the vet say about the weight loss? Are they going to do any further investigations?
Is she passing normal droppings in the normal amounts and size?

Hope both your buns feel better soon x

Back