• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Passing human viruses to bunnies??

Alfagirl

Mama Doe
Does anyone know if you can pass a human virus on to a bunny??!!

I'm very ill and worried about getting to close to the buns incase I pass anything on....or am I being silly?

I don't think bunnies can pick up much from us or us from them. I think it is more of a problem with animals like rats and guinea pigs :?

ETA I hope you feel better soon x

There is some room for caution regarding transmission from us to rabbits actually. It seems in this modern world it is thought that more viruses and bacteria are able to transmit from human to rabbit.... MRSA and other respiratory infections, or herpes simplex (cold sore virus) for example. It is very unlikely the other way around.

I would make very sure you follow strict hygiene at the moment with washing your hands before handling your bunnies and their food and keep your nose and mouth away from them, using tissues etc.

Thanks guys!

I've got a horrible viral thing (cue flu-like symptoms and a bad tummy :() and didn't want to put the poor bunnies at risk of anything.

Called my vets though (I'm a worrier :roll:) and they've said that the chances are extremely slim of passing anything over, but to treat them as you would treat a small baby, i.e. hand washing, antibacterial gel, no giving them kisses :oops: etc.

For some reason they are being very quiet and well behaved - maybe they know that Mummy needs peace for a while!

Ive often wondered about this, i read that hamsters can catch a human cold so i had to keep rosie at arms length when i was ill with it. xxxxxx

I know humans can catch the pasturella virus under rare circumstances, but i'm not sure about us giving humans anything. I was shocked to hear of a man dying who had a snuffle bun.

I know humans can catch the pasturella virus under rare circumstances, but i'm not sure about us giving humans anything. I was shocked to hear of a man dying who had a snuffle bun.

Apparently Pasteurella can be transmitted via a bite, but not just by contact. Of course that's from Wiki so it could be nonsense!

NHS24 are certain that it's a viral bug I've got so no doctors for me...just rest, fluids and treat the symptoms - thank goodness for Sudafed and Motilium!!

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes guys - hopefully I will be fine soon - I'm supposed to be off to Alton Towers and Brinsley at the weekend!!

Thanks :) I've never had a bite from my snuffle bunny. Only ever had a bite from a bunny when she was pregnant. Good job it's not contact, thanks for clarifying that.

Hope you feel better soon,
Ambience x

Back