• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Week that Was *Gruesome picture post 3*

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Well, we've had a bit of a week here.

Last Tuesday Roger and Sandy managed to get their paws on a binbag and drag it through the smallest hole in the world, and shred it all over their enclosure. They were fine and i'm sure neither ate any, but BOY did they make a mess.

On that Tuesday Autumn also dragged paper into his area and shredded that everywhere.

And also I started Sky on Zithromax and it didn't like him, so he was quite poorly for a while. Thankfully my big boy bounced back and we're just working up to trying again.

Last Wednesday Rosie decided (in addition to her spinal issues and her kidney stuff) that she was going to develop head tilt. :thumb: :roll:

Thankfully, it was only mild, and caught early, we've not had any rolling or anything, but is IS being very fussy with her food, and for 4 days would eat only grass.

On that Wednesday, when I noticed she wasn't ok, I actually booked an appointment to have her PTS because I just thought she couldn't cope with her kidney or spine or whatever else was going on. I was so happy to see the tilt because I knew that was something we could do something about. Thankfully, now she is on meds, she has stopped the nystagmus, and only now tilts when stressed. She is, however, needing high levels of pain relief, so she's not as ok as she appears. She will stay on her meds for the foreseeable future, but for now, my girl is doing better and eating normally :D

On Friday (after I started worming them on the Monday) Rosie produced a both fascinating and disgusting worm. I have NO idea what it was, but its freaked me out somewhat, so everything in this house is super clean and all that have come into contact are being treated. I suspect that she has had this worm since before she came. I'm going to take the picture of it to the vets tomorrow to see if he can identify it. BLEURGH!

On the nice and positive hand, as well as GizFizz finding a home, Flame has now also found a home (I'll leave the person to reveal him/herself) and it looks like maybe another has too.

Wish will be staying with me because her problems are clearly very complex and she's not your average bunny, but is she growing and she is gaining weight, which is fantastic. The two younger siblings from that mum also show Wish like problems, and if there is anyway I can, I will have them here too.

Its been a very busy, but very mixed week. I'm very proud of all my bunnies this week though. Every single one has fought through it all despite the odds.

I have also finally booked Lightning's neuter. Since getting involved in the rescue world, I have had no intentions to breed him, but couldn't quite bring myself to get him done because it truly means saying goodbye to Flash. I'm actually quite devastated, but keeping him intact is the last selfish thing I'm doing for my bunnies, and I have to let that go and let him be fixed in order for him (and all of them) to have the lives they deserve. But I am definitely going to miss the possibility of more babies Flash's.

Last edited:
Wow :shock: That's a lot to happen in one week...
I'm glad everyone pulled through, and that you have found some of them new homes! That's great.

I'm kind of interested in Rosie's worm now :oops: Was it a tapeworm? (I am a bit of a parasitology geek...:oops:)

It didn't look like the other tapeworms that I have seen (mainly in pictures).

Here are the gross pictures of it. Don't look if eating or squeamish.

150.jpg

151.jpg

152.jpg

Woaaah, that's weird :shock:
Is it definitely a worm? It looks more musus-y in the pictures. If it is a worm I would think it would have to be a tapeworm because of the size. But it doesn't really look like one :?
I hope you find out what it is!

:shock::shock::shock:
Eeeeww! Please please please don't let me find anything like that in my buns' poop.

Sounds like you haven't had a second to breath this week.
Glad all your buns are fighting hard and getting on well.

It wasn't like any mucous I've ever seen. It genuinely looked like a worm, and fitted in with the 3-4 day of panacur (which is when they start passing dead worms). I've never seen mucous that would stretch like that. I would expect it to pull apart. I would LOVE it to be mucous though.

On a different forum they suggested a round worm. Not sure where that would come from in the UK though.

Whatever it is, she felt so much better for passing it, so thats good.

It's definitely not a pin worm, but there are a variety of other round worms (although none common to the UK). We've had pinworms here before, and its definitely not that. I wish it was :lol: They are species specific.

Could be roundworm I guess.. although they look a little transparent. My friend once made the observation that most roundworm species look like noodles, which I didn't really appreciate...
There are lots of roundworm species in the UK, probably some specific to rabbits but I'm not sure of any names.

I showed the pics to my vets and he said that it was very unusual, and didn't look like stereotypical mucous, but was, an was related to the severity of her renal failure and how that was affecting her gut. Although Rosie died shortly afterwards anyway, unfortunately.

I showed the pics to my vets and he said that it was very unusual, and didn't look like stereotypical mucous, but was, an was related to the severity of her renal failure and how that was affecting her gut. Although Rosie died shortly afterwards anyway, unfortunately.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

Back