• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having a baby bun with an existing bun.

willowholly

Mama Doe
A girl at work asked me a question which I didn't know the answer to so thought I would put it to you guys.She has a youngish neutured buck at the minute but has aquired a 3 month old doe.How does she go about bonding?This is her plan,please tell me if you think this would work as I have no idea.She has the baby in a dog crate in the same room as her free range buck so they can sniff between bars & mix senses.No problems so far.She intends of having doe spayed at 5months so presumed they couldn't bond before.I said I thought would be ok to mix smells like this as doe is going into bucks environment & they will have 2 months pre spay to sniff between bars.I hope I haven't given wrong advice cos ive never done this myself.After she is spayed how long before bonding can begin?And as they can already smell each other would it be a case of just letting them out together for short periods to see how things go or what should she do?Any advice would be grateful as Jill did my bonding & ive only had single buns before that so this is an area I really haven't a clue.:)

I'm sure that will be fine, it's what I did with Joejoe and Jess, after a couple of weeks though they accidentally bonded themselves when Jess escaped and they just took to each other straight away after that. Jess hasn't been spayed yet, i'm getting her done in September, so i'm slightly anxious about having to separate them while she recovers but i'll cross that bridge when it comes to it. I'm positive those couple of weeks getting used to each other through the bars of the cage were what helped the bonding process go so smoothly.

Back