• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

still no poo. so scared u/d 4 tiny poops-advice pls

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
No poop. A couple of dry tiny bits. Saw her eating a chewy last night so I was hopeful. She's had tiny bites from a couple of leaves from me. I will let her into the garden as soon as I can, sun will have moved round enough in an hour or so.

She seems to pick up and my heart leaps but then nothing. Is this usual? I'm so worried my es won't make it. I will have failed her.

Last edited:
Try not to worry hun, some buns are like this for a while after a GA. Has she had another painkiller recently?

it can take two weeks for a gut to start working again after its stopped, would be safest to pop her back today for more pain meds, gut stimulant and fluids under the skin.

Don't worry too much yet
Are you syringing her any food?..also chop any of her favourite fresh veg or herbs up into small piles
poo vibes coming your way along with a hug xxx

Awwww, Wendy you haven't failed her - I've been following Esme's progress and you have done your absolute best to get Esme well again. I hope all your efforts pay off today and you see a poo improvement. :love: Huge hugs. xx

Amber always needs extra stimulants and pain relief after a GA. She had a dental a couple of weeks ago and i took her back twice for meds as she wasn't eating and poos were small. She's was quickly back to her stroppy self after the second trip. Ollie though bounces straight back as soon as he gets home :roll::)

You certainly haven't failed her, she just may need a bit extra to get back to normal;)

Those dry tiny bits are the impaction broken down and begining to pass out... this is an excellent sign! Can take a little while for normal poops to build up behind especially if she's not been eating much. Hot day today - I think she could do with some more fluids, pain relief and gut stimulants today just to keep it all flowing properly :):wave:

Try not to worry hun, some buns are like this for a while after a GA. Has she had another painkiller recently?

she had painkiller and fluids before i picked her up yesterday lunchtime. i double checked with the vet how long they'd last her for and he said up to 36 hours. she's due in tomorrow at 9.40 but i think due to the heat today, i will take her in late this afternoon for more.

Don't worry too much yet
Are you syringing her any food?..also chop any of her favourite fresh veg or herbs up into small piles
poo vibes coming your way along with a hug xxx

no jill, the vet advised against any more syringing as she gets very stressed and had/has started to nibble. managed to get her to have a bit of cabbage earlier and about a tbsp of broccoli not long ago (i keep chopping fresh bits and pieces up for her and sometimes she darts towards them as i put them down, sniffs then, then meatloafs again:?).

Is she on Zantac ?

I know I bang on about it :oops: but I have seen such a huge benefit in using it as part of the treatment for GI stasis.

Is she on Zantac ?

I know I bang on about it :oops: but I have seen such a huge benefit in using it as part of the treatment for GI stasis.

i've asked about it jane and no, she's had none:(

so, when i go later, should i beg for it? how much? how is it administered? what other things should i plead for?

i really don't know how you manage jane. i'm wrecked. xxx

i've asked about it jane and no, she's had none:(

so, when i go later, should i beg for it? how much? how is it administered? what other things should i plead for?

i really don't know how you manage jane. i'm wrecked. xxx

Huge hugs.. I am stressy Bun mom today too, I think it sounds as tho she is slowly getting back to normal. Bobby takes a while after GA, (spey).. and if she has to have a dental I am sure I will be on the ceiling with worry... lovely way to spend my brithday .. she is worth it tho

Lots of pooping vibes for your girl

thank you.

just been sitting in the garden with her as its the only place she's happy (plenty of shade too) and she feels skinny. so upsetting as she sniffs everything she sees but isn't eating it.

hope bobby is well soon x

thank you.

just been sitting in the garden with her as its the only place she's happy (plenty of shade too) and she feels skinny. so upsetting as she sniffs everything she sees but isn't eating it.

hope bobby is well soon x
Bless her its horrible isn't it? Bobs isn't off all food yet its just her hay.. so fingers crossed its just a bad batch

Lots more vibes for your little girl

Zantac comes in an oral syrup and is administered per kg of body weight so your vet will need to calculate. So for example my bun is 1.5kg and receives around 0.4ml. The usual dose is twice daily. I find it tastes nice and the buns are happy to take it from the syringe.

I agree with Jane re. it's important use. I actually prefer to use both zantac and metclopramide (oral syrups) together for maximum gut motility if faced with a stasis bun but every bun responds differently. Mine respond very well to the combination.

she had painkiller and fluids before i picked her up yesterday lunchtime. i double checked with the vet how long they'd last her for and he said up to 36 hours. she's due in tomorrow at 9.40 but i think due to the heat today, i will take her in late this afternoon for more.

Maybe in theory - in practice I would say not more than 24 hours, if even 12 if pain is bad. The anti-inflammatory effects I understand last 24 hours however. I feel 36 hours is pushing it a bit! Same for fluids, if bun still not functioning fully I'd want these, fluids, atleast every 24 minimum if not every 12 for quicker recovery.

Back