• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage/hutch ideas please.

MopsyMops =]

Warren Veteran
Right at the moment my two are in a normal indoor cage when Im out.

028-2.jpg

My bed is right beside them to the left of the picture. Its not alot of space to create something.

So im thinking of changing it round like this -
017-6.jpg

Im really wanting to expand there area as Il be getting a permanant part time job soon and don't want them being stuck in their for 3 hours or more.
Im really stuck on what to do... but am thinking about getting NIC cubes. If you have set up a NIC cube cage, how much did it cost you? I will have to get some to go on the top aswell as Delly can jump out of most things.

I've tried the pens that fix together - she can easily jump out of them so there is no point to them. I then tried with the mesh thing on top, and she still managed to get out.

All ideas welcome.. apart from them moving outside :lol:

i was going to suggest puppy pens, as i use them, but mine haven't jumped out since they were around a year old. they probably still could, but they don't.

nic cubes seem very expensive to me.

i was going to suggest puppy pens, as i use them, but mine haven't jumped out since they were around a year old. they probably still could, but they don't.

nic cubes seem very expensive to me.

She could jump out of the puppy pens when we first got her home as a baby :lol:

The nic cubes are expensive, especially when I have Dellys spay ontop but I have the money if needs be... its just whether or not I splash out on them really :? as I dont want them to break or nothing after spending so much :lol:

I have two puppy pens clipped together. Then when I'm in, I can fold them away to make the place look a bit nice :lol: I move house all the time and I love this setup because it adapts to whatever size and shape space I have for them. :) Skye learnt to jump out (only because the sofa is on the other side!) but I made a roll back top out of net and bamboo poles to thwart her :lol:

Piccy - cardboard not there anymore it was just to protect the curtains!

18a4.jpg

Mine free-range all the time, even when I'm not around. Can you not do that?

Tbh no, Delly is the most active rabbit and will climb onto everything - windowsill/bed/chair/lamp/radio/top of the hutch - all of which she constantly does when im here. Don't get me wrong, they spend most of the day out of the hutch and free ranging its just at night/when im out.

NIC prices have gone up, I think there about £30 a pack and you would probably need two packs, so say £60. Better in the long run compared to an indoor cage (going by P@H prices) :D B&Q stock them again but are black now not silver - can't recommend them enough ;)

Our buns have them 3 high, and if you use house walls to form part of it if possible it give even more options in design and size :D Your buns might require 4 high if they escape a 3.5ft (3 high) wall but I guess its a trail and error :wave:

Edit: They are £30 now, only £22 when I bought them a year ago :shock: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10687690&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=storage+cube&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1277158457764&isSearch=true

Last edited:
I have two puppy pens clipped together. Then when I'm in, I can fold them away to make the place look a bit nice :lol: I move house all the time and I love this setup because it adapts to whatever size and shape space I have for them. :) Skye learnt to jump out (only because the sofa is on the other side!) but I made a roll back top out of net and bamboo poles to thwart her :lol:

Piccy - cardboard not there anymore it was just to protect the curtains!

18a4.jpg

You see, I would love something like that but I just know she would jump out like that and Oggie has started jumping everything aswell :lol:

NIC prices have gone up, I think there about £30 a pack and you would probably need two packs, so say £60. Better in the long run compared to an indoor cage (going by P@H prices) :D B&Q stock them again but are black now not silver - can't recommend them enough ;)

Our buns have them 3 high, and if you use house walls to form part of it if possible it give even more options in design and size :D Your buns might require 4 high if they escape a 3.5ft (3 high) wall but I guess its a trail and error :wave:

Edit: They are £30 now, only £22 when I bought them a year ago :shock: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10687690&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=storage+cube&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1277158457764&isSearch=true

Oh thankyou for that! Its quite alot of money, crikey :shock:. I might try and work out how many I need.
Thanks!

You see, I would love something like that but I just know she would jump out like that and Oggie has started jumping everything aswell :lol:

Skye is a pain for that - i often used to hear her rampaging around in the night and go and plop her back in :lol: it's pretty easy to make a cover, but I guess NIC grids are sturdier...I just like being able to fold it away so easily, gives me more space when I need it :)

Skye is a pain for that - i often used to hear her rampaging around in the night and go and plop her back in :lol: it's pretty easy to make a cover, but I guess NIC grids are sturdier...I just like being able to fold it away so easily, gives me more space when I need it :)

I have like puppy pen which came with a mesh cover. I put that on and went downstairs and when I came up she was out of and pooing everyone :lol:
She can see the tiniest whole and get out of it, I swear.

Yup, so far NIC sounds like the only option :lol:

.I just like being able to fold it away so easily, gives me more space when I need it :)

The NIC grid is quite imposing if its large I have to admit and once up I would never dream of trying to move it :lol: maybe with cable ties instead of the black clips it could become more flexible but I've never tried tbh :oops:

Your net x bamboo cover sounds good, was it expensive for a net?

The NIC grid is quite imposing if its large I have to admit and once up I would never dream of trying to move it :lol: maybe with cable ties instead of the black clips it could become more flexible but I've never tried tbh :oops:

Your net x bamboo cover sounds good, was it expensive for a net?

I got a big piece of net curtain fabric from the market, it was under £5 I think. Before that I used the type you net pea plants with but it was no good, always getting tangled.

I've attached the net at one end with bulldog clips, sewed the cane into the other end and lodge the ends between the bars to keep the cage covered...then I roll it back (around the cane) when I come home from work and dismantle everything :lol:

Not sure if that's a very good description :?

Not sure if this is really going to help you but I will put it here anyway. Charlee has a pen that wraps around the base of a table. On top of the table are the guinea pig cages - which are 2 stacked C&C cages (same thing as NIC condos). So everything is very compact and all cages are in an area 90x180cm. Charlee is in it only at night and I have been told it is big enough for her and her buddy (which we haven't got yet - waiting on him to be nuetered!).

It was a bit of a interesting job. I had some old play pens lying around from when I used to take the piggies outside. I can't do that anymore as the dogs go to the toilet outside. So I cable tied them together, added a corflute base and away we went. All it cost me was the $11 for the corflute sheet.

Outside cage with door open (door is left panel). The left panel swings shut and I use a bull dog clip to hold it in place.

003-2.jpg

Part of the area inside the cage -

037-1-1.jpg

The little level -

007-2.jpg

It wasn't too bad! I just cable tied the pens together (leaving one pen piece only connected on the one side) and made a base out of corflute. Put the base into place, lifted the table inside, and wrapped the pen around it.

Hi All

I have just completed are cage for the buns although they can't go in just yet due to recently being bonded but i can't wait to see there little faces ;)

It took me over 4 hours :shock:

But it was worth it :p

Hope it gives you some ideas

PICT1550.jpg

PICT1551.jpg

Back