• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pine fresh wood pellets, safe?

jody

Alpha Buck
iv just bought a bag of these pellets ready for the arrival of my new bun, its cat ltter and says its also for rabbits etc,
Is this safe to use?

Im not sure to be honest, i wouldnt use anything pine fresh or otherwise, i always go for natural and unscented :) xxx

mmm yes thats what i thought although its says 100% pine and that its safe, but was told certain litters they can eat and it swells in their tums?:?

Well i was using carefresh then hay over the top but grace was eating the carefresh so im using newspaper and hay thats it for now, i`d be a bit wary of anything scented to be honest.

i noticed pets at home were selling scented woodshavings i wouldnt use it myself though, is that where you got it from? xxx

Are they actually scented or is the 'pine fresh' just because they are pine? If they are fragranced I wouldn't use them, if your bun is anything like mine he/she will probably feel the need to have a little munch of them :roll::lol:

I have used these for over a year and haven't had a problem - my girls don't eat them at all. Not to say they're safe, but I personally haven't had any problems :)

The ones that would swell are the ones that change when they've been peed on, the crystals. Why not try using Megazorb? x

You could always try just a few or take them back? my buns arent in a hutch so i dont have the need for anything really, both use litter trays :) xx

I use pine pellets under a layer of hay. I have never seen my bunnies attempt to eat them though. They do swell up and fall apart when they are wee'd on.

i always buy either newspaper ones or wood pellets. Wood pellets are fine for me never had a problem

when i first bought them and put them in the hutch, after only ever using woodshavings, theo ate one for an experiment then never bothered again

Back