• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Banned - From buying a rabbit: A terrible news article!!

Pipkin

Young Bun
Hello there everybody, I just joined the community today, I usually post information and stuff through my sister, Jenova, who is already a member on here. But I thought it was about time I got an account!

I have owned rabbits since I was about 7. I currently own two rabbits, Simba a ginger Lionhead and this year me and my sister rescued our first rabbit - I think some of you might have read about him - his name is Dexter (the rabbit with wonky teeth!)

Now straight to the point!

For those of you who live in Manchester and read the MEN you might have seen a very interesting article on Page 4. Here is the link to the online article, please read it:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1256875_man_banned_from_buying_a_rabbit

I have not always been a massive fan of Pets at Home, I'm not really a big fan of any pet shop but in this case I want to commend Pets at Home for protecting rabbits and not letting people breed them! It is for this reason that I am disgusted at the news paper at writing this article and portraying them in a bad light for doing something right!

Basically, I am telling you all about this because I really want to do something about it. I rang up the Manager for that particular store and told him what I thought and that I am going to write into the Manchester evening News and tell them that I am disgusted that they would allow an article to be written in which it discribes a policy put in to protect rabbits as 'ridiculous' and 'beyond belief'.

I would really like some help! I think if only I was to write in they would ignore me so I ask that if you also feel strongly about this would you please also write in? I think the more the better! Not enough people really know about the situation with rabbits and how they are suffering which is why I am really upset about the fact this article is on PAGE FOUR where everybody can read it. It is saying completely the wrong thing about owning and buying rabbits and it needs to be stopped!

Sooo, I appologise for skipping introductions and jumping right in there! What does everybody think?

I've put below contact info for the MEN (I'm not 100% which ones so I've put a few) is anyone interested in writing in with me?

Thankyou for reading!
x

Editorial

Editor: Maria McGeoghan

It says:

Readers who wish to make representations about articles can write either to the editor at the address above or to:

Press Complaints Commission
Halton House
20/23 High Holborn
London
EC1N 2JD
Tel: 020 7831 0022

Postal address:

Manchester Evening News, 1 Scott Place, Hardman Street, Manchester, M3 3RN

Telephone:

Main switchboard: 0161 832 7200

Email:
postbag@men-news.co.uk

Or you can look up all their contact info here:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...320_get_in_touch_with_manchester_evening_news

x

RIDICULOUS! is what i think, how did they know he had no intention of spaying? or how did they know his male was un neutered, sound like that bunny would have gone to a lovely home, Its probably ended up with a family of very young kids who dont handle it correctly and scare it half to death!
I dont think P.A.H should be allowed to trade in livestock full stop! then its fair on animals and people alike! its discrimination!

Does it say anywhere on the article that his rabbit was neutered?????

ridiculous article and SO biased, he wouldn't have been banned from buying a rabbit, he would have been declined one for goodness sake :roll: I work for Pets at Home and it definitely was the right thing to do if his boy wasn't neutered.

If I get some time, I will certainly be writing something, this has made me soooo angry!!!!

If his rabbit is neutered it isn't there, so they haven't reported the full story. I'm sure if it had been they would be making a massive deal over it in the article :? could be wrong though.

P@H have always seemed really thorough in their questioning and give pretty sound advice compared to most pet shops - they make the odd strange suggestion but that is probably down to the staff member, their actual policies are better than most places.

I do agree this was the right thing to do if his boy wasn't neutered. When I was in P@H today there was someone at the counter who had had an 'accidental litter' and I think they wanted to bring the babies into the adoption bit :(

Welcome to RU by the way :wave:

Good on PAH. There's a lot of supportive comments towards the shop on the website as well - far more than 'that's ridiculous' comments :)

I don't think we really know the full story here :? It's pretty daft to discourage owning mixed pairs, given that a neutered mixed pair is the most reliable combination - unless they were 100% sure neither of the rabbits would be neutered. On the other hand it's their shop and really they can sell their animals on whatever criteria they judge best for their welfare.

I don't think we really know the full story here :? It's pretty daft to discourage owning mixed pairs, given that a neutered mixed pair is the most reliable combination - unless they were 100% sure neither of the rabbits would be neutered. On the other hand it's their shop and really they can sell their animals on whatever criteria they judge best for their welfare.

If someone comes into us and has an unneutered rabbit, we ask them to go away and neuter first before contemplating getting a second rabbit. We also tell them their options regarding rehoming a rescue rabbit.

If anyone states that they intend to breed, we tell them the statistics of unwanted rabbits and refuse to sell.

As far as Pets at Home go as a pet shop that sells rabbits they provide a lot more information and pay alot more attention to prospective owners than most places.
Yes they are a pet shop, and yes rabbits shouldn't really be being sold when there are lots of rabbits in rescue centres that desperately need homes. But change has to start somewhere, even if it is Pets at Home refusing to sell a couple a rabbit because they don't want them to breed. They are putting out a good front for people who want rabbits and that should be making people think more carefully about deciding to own rabbits. I think that this really is a good step and I don't think they should suffer for this.

Oh and thankyou for the welcome NicolaTervit =)

Last edited:
If someone comes into us and has an unneutered rabbit, we ask them to go away and neuter first before contemplating getting a second rabbit. We also tell them their options regarding rehoming a rescue rabbit.

If anyone states that they intend to breed, we tell them the statistics of unwanted rabbits and refuse to sell.

So it's not that you discourage mixed pairs, just that you discourage unneutered mixed pairs.

That seems fully sensible, unfortunately the article was so vague that it's impossible to tell who was in the right!

As far as Pets at Home go as a pet shop that sells rabbits they provide a lot more information and pay alot more attention to prospective owners than most places.
Yes they are a pet shop, and yes rabbits shouldn't really be being sold when there are lots of rabbits in rescue centres that desperately need homes. But change has to start somewhere, even if it is Pets at Home refusing to sell a couple a rabbit because they don't want them to breed. They are putting out a good front for people who want rabbits and that should be making people think more carefully about deciding to own rabbits. I think that this really is a good step and I don't think they should suffer for this.

Oh and thankyou for the welcome NicolaTervit =)

I agree with this, P@H is the only pet shop I still go in that sells live animals. I have heard of bad experiences, and I have seen a one a bit further away from me that isn't incredible, but can't fault the one closest to me. :wave:

You're welcome :)

Hello! :wave:

I think the newspaper article just gives out the whole wrong image. Like they're saying pets at home are stupid for having policies against breeding and you should be able to do what you like. Which you shouldn't. So good on them in this instance and I can't believe the newspaper would support the other side.

Neutering wasn't even mentioned so we have no idea, but the way it's written the don't even use it as an argument. They don't even recommend it, which they should.

Stupid article, just stupid.

Back