• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating the WRONG poo !?

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
Leo my nethie has been eating the WRONG poo (not caecotrophs) and it gets everywhere. I also never see him eat caecotrophs but assume he eats them at night?

Should I take him to the vets? Does anyone know why he is doing this? Its not just a few poos he eats, its loads, in the morning there are two piles of chewed up poos

Its as if he tries to eat them and then spits them out?!

Here are some photos so you can see what I mean

poo1.jpg

poo2.jpg

I was going to say that Selina does this too -but she only does it every so often so not in the amount your bun does :? so yeah I'm stumped too..

with regards to eating ceacetrophs, they eat them straight from their bum. It looks like they are cleaning. You should never see a ceacetroph.

i have this from eric and esme occasionally. not piles of them, maybe up to half a dozen scattered about. i don't think its anything to worry about, may be just a way of getting maximum fibre.

es has done this whilst poorly but the tiny couple i saw her with were actually caecotrophs that were very hard so they kind of looked like waste pellets but had a bit of a film on them - that was the tasty bit, the rest she spat out

i have this from eric and esme occasionally. not piles of them, maybe up to half a dozen scattered about. i don't think its anything to worry about, may be just a way of getting maximum fibre.

es has done this whilst poorly but the tiny couple i saw her with were actually caecotrophs that were very hard so they kind of looked like waste pellets but had a bit of a film on them - that was the tasty bit, the rest she spat out

you can see bits of hay in poos, maybe when they eat a treat bits of it stays in the poo and they break them to eat it........ just a theory lol

Just had a peek in here. I really cant help or advise - just wanted to wish you and bunny all the best!

Back