• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is he licking everything?!

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Scamp started acting really strange last night, he started going round licking things, including the sofa, walls, his fleece, carpet... basically everything in sight :? We woke this morning to find hes half eaten out sofa :? I cant understand why hes doing this all of a sudden? Could he be lacking something in his diet? Ive literally no idea.

Ive been out and bought a huge throw today from dunelm for the sofa, but hes now taken to trying to eat that! If he carries on im going to have to put him in a puppy pen as i dont want him getting a blockage :cry:

Any ideas? xXx

Pain can cause 'obsessive' licking, not necessarily mouth pain.

Have you checked his undercarriage? Having a mucky bum that they cant clean themselves can also cause licking.

Being itchy from cheyletiella mites is another possibility.

no idea becky:?
eric licks his grassy mat when he's full flop and his paws when he's sleepy. esme tugs things - all things - with her teeth but isn't much of a licker. she is an obsessive groomer tho.

when was his last check up?

I cant see it being pain, hes on 0.5ml of dog metacam daily and the tooth grinding has stopped :?

His last check up was Friday, he saw Jason Burgess, so im sure he wouldve picked up on mites etc? His bum isnt messy either, his poos are fine. Maybe it would be worth giving Jason a call. Its just really odd. Hes currently licking the throw on the sofa!!

Back