• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mungo hasn't moved all day

DeeAisha

Young Bun
Is this health or behaviour?

They free range all day normally and of my two buns, Mungo has the biggest wanderlust. Julian can often be seen back in the hutch having a snooze, but Mungo is normally to be found in the long weeds :)oops:) or dozing underneath the bench at the bottom of the garden.

Today, he's not left the hutch and has moved approximately 3 inches. He ate his breakfast, but is just sitting with his eyes half-closed.

Last night he didn't come 'home' until quite late - it was dark. In the past when this has happened it's spooked him and he's stayed close to home, so I'm hoping it's that.

I'm also vaguely wondering whether he has problems with his sight. I know rabbits don't have very good close-up vision anyway, but I'm starting to get the idea that he uses Julian - a mainly white rabbit - as a point of reference to help him come home. I may be projecting human characteristics onto an animal, but if he's standing against the opening of the coop - quite wide, about 1.5ft - he doesn't seem to be able to find it on his own. He'll veer off into the door itself or the side of the coop, unless Julian comes out to 'help' him. A seeing eye rabbit. So now I'm wondering whether he's in his hutch because Julian has dashed off without him.

Sigh. I'm worried and don't know what the signs are that I need to be *vet* worried. How seriously would they take me if I took him because he's having a lazy day?

D x

I'd take him to the vet, just to be sure he is ok if I were you. Just to be on the safe side and to put your mind at rest too. Sending lots of bunny vibes to your bun, really hope he is just having a 'lazy' day.

i would think this is unusual behaviour he needs to see a vet asap. eyes half closed makes me think hes in pain of some sort

loads of vibes, quicker you get him to the vets better chance he has for survival xxxx

We have movement! I think I might have neglected to mention a critical fact - he's a black rabbit on a very hot day...

I went and picked him up in the end - I don't like doing this as he's not tame and gets very very stressed, bless him. His eyes seemed a little watery - one cheek was a little damp - so I'm going to keep an eye on him. My husband bathed them with salt water while he was captive. His teeth and ears and nose seem fine, nothing nasty around his bum so we flystrike treated him while he was up, his claws are good... I put him on the lawn and he sat there motionless for about an hour then burst back into life and is currently tearing around the lawn, munching.

I suspect his recovery timed itself with the weather cooling down. Did I read here that frozen water bottles are a good thing on hot days? They have plenty of shade in their hutch and in the garden at large.

D x

oh yaaaay thats great news, frozen water bottles are great, although my pair dont go near them... but they have the choice :D

i borrowed a couple of marble tiles from my mom, my black lop likes to lie on them to keep himself cool.

really glad it wasnt the evil stasis :D:D:D

I suspect his recovery timed itself with the weather cooling down. Did I read here that frozen water bottles are a good thing on hot days? They have plenty of shade in their hutch and in the garden at large.

D x

I've used frozen 2 litre water bottles for my buns for years, it makes me feel so much better about them being out in the heat!

They don't tend to move much when it's hot, they just lay up against them. They do give them a good lick when I first put it in too!

xxx

Def not stasis - have just been out to give them their supper and they both bounded up the ramp to the bedroom and ate it from my hand. I love the hot breath and soft tongue thing... :love: (Ah, that last sentence sounds distinctly rude...!)

Mungo was particularly greedy - I guess because he hasn't been on the grass much today, or in the weed beds. Maybe he'll deign to eat some hay - wonders will never cease.

Thank you for all your advice. I'll pop a bottle in the freezer now ready for the morning.

D x

Back