• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues - do you?

Rachel89

Mama Doe
Have a maximum amount of bunnies to each bond? Like a cut off for people interested in bonding another to theres but wouldn't allow as its to many?

The rescue I got Mousse from was fine with me bonding her to my current three but wouldn't allow me to bond another. (So a 5 bonded).
I have more then enough room to split them if the bond didn't work out anyway.

Is it a normal thing for most rescues?

Personally I'd say contact other rescues. They may want to homecheck to ensure that if the bonding doesn't work that the groups you end up with will have access to their minimum housing requirements for pairs, trios etc.

as long as you had the space and were confident about your bonding i don't see why not. It would perhaps depend on the bunny though, a bunny that desperately loved human attention might be better in a pair to make sure they could get a high proportion of nose rubs but if it was a less friendly bunny then better that they have a good home with friends than stuck in a rescue. We did once refused to rehome to someone that we felt had too many pets but she had recently taken on a lot of other bunnies and we were wondering how much she had really thought about the financial implication.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the group dynamics and the space available.

We've had a group of 12 in the sanctuary.

Last edited:
To be honest I don't see anything wrong with alot of bunnies but I wouldn't risk more than one male. ;) Maybe rescues are worried about there not being enough space for 5? ;)

I have more than one male, if fact it was those two who were the easiest! nursecroft on here has three bonded males.

Thanks, shes home checked me when I had Mousse and said I had enough for 8 :shock: I don't want that many, I know my limits secretly :oops:
Will get in contact with some others too.
I use to have two males with my two girlies and they were so much more relaxed, it was the does that liked to keep my heart raceing.
Ive bonded all mine but am prepared to send them off if that was the case.

Thanks for the replies, was thinking maybe I was being abit over optimistic :wave:

There are a number of things which need to be taken into consideration when bonding bigger groups as a bond is not achieved overnight but over a period of time. Things I would take into consideration are:

• Available space for where the rabbits will live.
  • Confidence of the person adopting as they will need to continue the bonding after they leave where they the bonding has been started.
  • The personalities of the bunnies concerned.
  • The confidence of the person who is starting off the bonding. Some rescues do not bond as they have no one who either has the time, experience or space (or one or more of these) to do this. Other rescues happily will bond 2 rabbits, but not more. Other rescues will bond any number.

Each approach to a rescue should be considered in their own rights taking into consideration all of the above.

Another thing they might consider is if you needed to give them up for some reason...could the rescue accommodate more than 5 rabbits?

Back