• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tummy pressing

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
I've seen this mentioned a few times and I think Nutmeg might have done it last night but I'm not sure. Does anyone have a photo?

She kinda of stretched out her front paws and rolled her hips backward. I gave her a tummy rub and she then got up and ran about with Smudge for a while. Then later on in the evening I noticed her do it again. Gave her another tummy rub and she flopped down and relaxed.

I assume she had a bit of a tummy ache? I wonder if she's been having to eat a bit faster since being with the lops and it's making her tummy hurt?

This behaviour is normally a rabbit's response to relieve the pain from gas in the stomach or bowel. It sounds like the tummy rub relieved the gas and got it moving down the tract sufficiently, well done. It is a warning sign to look out for. It is unlikely to be due to gobbling food, and is more likely to be due to stress, pain or caecal dysbiosis. :wave:

I expect the bonding and moving to a new home has caused a bit of stress. I would've thought it would've shown up by now though. I'll keep an eye on her for any signs of pain.

Thank you.

When my Timmy did it (very long time ago,the start of a small bout of gas,early stages of stasis) it was very noticeable because it looks very unnatural. He kept flicking his ears backwards and forwards aswell and just looked generally very uncomfortable, shifting positions etc
Id keep up with the tummy massages and make sure shes nomming loads of hay. If her poos get smaller aswell she might need a shot of gut stimulant to stop things getting any worse.
I'm sure she'll be absolutely fine though, sounds like the massages are doing the trick :D
Love to your little Mimi lookey likey :love:

I never noticed how similar they look!

It's a bit difficult to keep up with her poos cos of the other three. Mind you, I'm sure it's her who has less than ideal litter habits so I can just check those scattered round my room. :roll::lol: I've just swept up and noticed a couple of smaller-than-usual ones but the majority were big as normal.

She's quite bright today and I haven't noticed her doing it again. Is it worth splitting their veg into two lots anyway? So it's a bit more like natural grazing rather than all in one lump?

Little update - splitting the veg into a couple of different 'meals' seems to be helping. Haven't seen her in any odd positions for a while.

Little update - splitting the veg into a couple of different 'meals' seems to be helping. Haven't seen her in any odd positions for a while.

We do this now too. I like the hydration effect in the middle of the day, it also stops Nino stuffing himself to bursting - there is no 'stop' button on his tummy!:roll::lol:
He has on one occasion bloated himself by eating too many greens too quickly.

Back