• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dolly's cylap reaction - cylap report for ammunition against possible arrogant vet?

Hey everyone, some of you may have already read my thread about Dolly's reaction to cylap.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=233594

I have an appointment at the vets this evening and was wondering if i should take this report with me:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=233594

Ive never had any problems with my current vet, but ive never had any problems with my buns either. One vet in particular seems to be quite arrogant. Im worried that because im only 18 he will give me stupid excuses as to why she has suddenly developed scabs on her back and shoulders.

Im a little angry that they still use the cylap vaccine just because its cheaper. I know i should have taken some responsibility and remembered to request the lapinject vaccine as i was aware that reactions are common in buns.

Its been suggested that one batch may cause a reaction in a number of rabbits and another batch may not cause any side effects at all.

If the vet tells me that hes never experienced any side effects, then i really think hes lying or inexperienced where rabbits are concerned. In either case i plan to present him with the report, tell him that it needs to be reported to the manufacturer and that i want him to put my request for the future use of lapinject on all of my bun's records.

Is that a little over the top? I dont want him thinking that just because im a young person he can fob me off, ill find another vet if thats the case!

DONT FEED ME BULL **** MR. VET!! :lol:

Last edited:
I think you're perfectly within your rights to ask the vet to only use Lapinject for your buns from now on - you're a paying customer after all. Pointing it out to them and letting them see the reaction to the vaccine may make them think about changing anyway - it's possible they've never seen what the reaction is like as I doubt many people would take their bun back to the vet as most would think it was 'just a scab' and nothing serious.

Try being really polite at first and if he tries telling you you're wrong, hint that you might change to a vet that uses Lapinject. ;) That might spur him into action! :lol:

Print this out and take it with you:
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Cylap/-44936.html
It's the actual information from the manufacturer about possible reactions to Cylap.

Excellent :) ill take them both. If vets are going to use the cylap vaccine, shouldnt they be telling pet owners the risks and possible side effects? Just as they would with any op/procedure. Im guessing its because noone would use it if they were aware and the lapinject has to be used fairly quickly after it is opened.

I think you're perfectly within your rights to ask the vet to only use Lapinject for your buns from now on - you're a paying customer after all. Pointing it out to them and letting them see the reaction to the vaccine may make them think about changing anyway - it's possible they've never seen what the reaction is like as I doubt many people would take their bun back to the vet as most would think it was 'just a scab' and nothing serious.

Try being really polite at first and if he tries telling you you're wrong, hint that you might change to a vet that uses Lapinject. ;) That might spur him into action! :lol:

Of course ill be polite :) im not going to bite his head off, i like how they think that im a "naive 18 year old with her fluffy little bunny rabbit". They'll get more of a shock when they find i actually know what im talking about! :lol:

I'm not sure that vets just use cylap because it is cheaper it is because lapinjet comes in a larger vial and has to be disposed of once opened. Mine will order it in for my 4 bunnies and it actually works out cheaper than doing 4 cylap injections as he only makes me pay for the vial and needles + a consult. Lapinjet is not without side effects either though, our vet has lost about 3 bunnies who had recently had the lapinjet injection. Might have been a duff batch but she does warn anyone now about the dangers of the VHD jab so that they can make an informed decision.

I'm not sure that vets just use cylap because it is cheaper it is because lapinjet comes in a larger vial and has to be disposed of once opened. Mine will order it in for my 4 bunnies and it actually works out cheaper than doing 4 cylap injections as he only makes me pay for the vial and needles + a consult. Lapinjet is not without side effects either though, our vet has lost about 3 bunnies who had recently had the lapinjet injection. Might have been a duff batch but she does warn anyone now about the dangers of the VHD jab so that they can make an informed decision.

ive been worried about Holly this last week with the lapinject :(

even though Pearl got the scabs and Alvin got the limp with the cylap neither seemed depressed or sat hunching afterwards.

i fear both equally (after kirsty and lola's bun died) so to me i dont care what one the vet uses they are both nasty and i really hope this forum doesnt lead people into a false sense of security using the lapinject :?

When the advisory note came out stating that up to 50% of rabbits may have a reaction to Cylap, I asked my vet to use Lapinject the next time. They were horrified by the statistic and have agreed that if I take all three buns in and give then a week's notice, they will use Lapinject.

You are right to point it out and ask for an alternative. The vets should be telling people about the risks and letting the owners decide what to do.

ive been worried about Holly this last week with the lapinject :(

even though Pearl got the scabs and Alvin got the limp with the cylap neither seemed depressed or sat hunching afterwards.

i fear both equally (after kirsty and lola's bun died) so to me i dont care what one the vet uses they are both nasty and i really hope this forum doesnt lead people into a false sense of security using the lapinject :?

Thanks for that. In that case i think its the vets responsibility to provide owners with all the information prior to the vaccination. My vet didnt explain possible side effects of the cylap, thankfully i know what to look out for, but not everyone will. Im starting to wonder about the amount of experience my vet has had with buns, i might even consider changing. Its not just because of the cylap thing, theres a few things that i found a bit "fishy"

Thanks for that. In that case i think its the vets responsibility to provide owners with all the information prior to the vaccination. My vet didnt explain possible side effects of the cylap, thankfully i know what to look out for, but not everyone will. Im starting to wonder about the amount of experience my vet has had with buns, i might even consider changing. Its not just because of the cylap thing, theres a few things that i found a bit "fishy"

better to move on now then before you need them to save your buns life and they let you down :(

im still quite bitter about what happened with Pearl and my vet was very convincing, i totally trusted him... if you have doubts deffo get out and get a recommended vet :wave::wave::wave:

Back