• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are your thoughts on commuting with rabbits?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I've been offered a 3-month contract in London with an excellent company that will really push me forward in my career. I really want to take it but it will mean moving there during the week and coming back to my village in the countryside at the weekend. The house that I would be living in during the week is pet friendly and very spacious.

Because I really don't trust anyone else to look after my buns (except RUers of course!) And because Ralph is now going into stasis every month, :cry: I can't stand the thought of him going into stasis while I'm not there. So I've come up with the hairbrained plan to commute, with the buns on Monday morning (set up their indoor cage in the London house) and then commute back with them on Friday evening (set their indoor cage back up here.) The buns stay in and are transported in the same accommodation throughout and it will end up being two 1.5 hr journeys per week (3 hrs total.)

Do you think this is crazy? Is it too much stress for them? Is there any possibility they could get into a routine with it? I know that bunnies are not like dogs and can't be ferried around in the boots of cars like man's best friend, but I love them like they're my children and I want to be with them as much as possible, and so feel like they should be where I am, even if that's two places in one week.

They are both very average travellers -- neither gets overly stressed, but they don't like it either.

Last edited:
you wont know till you try it.. as long as you source a decent vet at the other end give it a go.

bloke i work with is into canoeing, he leaves his bunnies home but he was really chuffed the other week, one of the canoers had his bun along... just like a dog living the travelling life in the caravan not caged or anything lazing about the van... that bunny must of got used to travel so its possible.

any sign of stasis youll have to rethink it all of course, but why not... bunnies love thier humans so why shouldnt they be with them :D:D

it will be fine with the travel rabbits travel allover when you show them and they cope very well with it
good luck with the job
ann x

I have to take my buns on the metro and the bus to get the vets and its never done them any harm, even when I was taking Jasmine and Daphne nearly every day.

For the sake of 3 months, and for you not worrying, I think it will be fine to take them :wave:

Vin came with me on the train to Edinburgh at Christmas (my parents live down there) and she was fine, it's a 2 1/2 hour journey then a bus at the other end. I took her out for a cuddle half way through and she just had a good nose around :lol:

I think just cover the carrier at the sides with a blanket or something leaving the front open, then they can see you, but they will also not be able to see the other people around them and feel safer perhaps.

I think if your bunny is stressed, handling and moving around is never a good thing. Bunnys like to be settled, just like you wouldn't like moving about if you were ill or stressed out, you probably would just want to snuggle down and be left alone, rather than travel.

I think bunnies are no different than humans in that respect. I think sometimes too much movement and change in behaviours can effect rabbits and sometimes routines can if they are stressful.

I think you will be able to gauge by how your buns react to it and the only way to know is to monitor it and then change it if it's not appropriate.

Good Luck
Ambience x

Hi. This is what i was forced to do for 5 years. Tenby loved travelling, always a big rush to get into her box. We think she did over 40k. The journey is 5 hours and did it once a fortnight. Good luck

You know your bunnies, if you think they could cope then try it. Some buns will take it in their stride while some may get stressed i suppose. Try it and then if you feel it's not working then cook up a plan B;)

Oh and well done with the job opportunity:wave:

Back