• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed

Aimz1986

Young Bun
Hi,

I am having a home check this week for 2 baby rabbits. I have a hutch that is well within the guidelines for 2 medium sized rabbits but the run I currently have is too small. I have ordered a new run which i was expecting to have by now but the company have now told me that it is not in stock and I have been told that it will be 2 weeks. Im really worried that I wont be able to get the rabbits which I have fallen in love with.

Im hoping that for a tempory basis the run will be ok if I explain the situation to the homechecker. By the time I get the rabbits it should only be a week off.

Just wondering if anyone did home checks and what they would do in this situation.

Sorry I don't know really, all i could suggest is if you have some proof of purchase of the larger run and somethign in writing saying when it's getting delivered that the rescue place may allow them to come to you if there's only a few days wait for the bigger run, or they may still accept you but insist on waiting until you have the new run in place?

How big is your actual hutch because if that alone meets the welfare guidelines then surely the run is just an added bonus?

I'd contact the rescue and see what they say. They may carry out the homecheck anyway and let you email the pics of the new run all set up with the old run next to it to prove how much bigger it is. If you have an email from the company saying that you have to wait you could forward that to the rescue as proof that you haven't lost interest or are just stalling for time.

I would contact the rescue prior to the homecheck as they may want to see everything in place first before passing you. If they come out and find that the run is not of the siize that is acceptable they may be unable to rehome to you until you have got the new run. In this case they may have to come out again to complete the home check which will waste their time.

If you tell them, then they can make the decision about what they want to do.

I agree with Janice that it's best to contact the rescue in advance of the homecheck and let them know. As someone who has done homechecks it is pretty annoying for things not to be ready when you go round - you've given up your time and petrol money and it's a shame when things aren't right. The difficulty is that while you know your intentions, they don't, so they generally have to ensure that everything is absolutely right before they will rehome the buns.

Maybe you can forward them a copy of any order confirmation that shows that you have at least ordered the bigger run as well; they can then decide whether it's worth still doing the homecheck in the meantime or if not it might reassure them that it's worth keeping the rabbits on reserve for you until the new run arrives.

I'd contact the rescue too.

When I homecheck I always tell people that I need to see the accommodation set up and ready to go, so I wouldn't do the check until everything is ready to go.

At worst they may just put you off for a week or two, or maybe you could try somewhere with a quicker delivery time?

Cheers

Thanks guys. Ive been in further contact with the company and the run is now in stock and can be delivered on Thurs. Ive got my fingers crossed. I havent had a call of the home checker yet to arrange a visit so I should have everying in place before they come.

Thank you for all the advice. Just hope all goes well now.

Back