• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been asked to take on school buns. :roll:

georgie_f

Mama Doe
I aquired myself a bunny issue whilst RU was down - typical isn't it, I have nothing of interest to add or ask about all week and the one time RU fluffs up I find a question I need to ask! :roll::lol:

Getting to the point, a friend asked me earlier this evening if I had space for two more rabbits. His mum works at a primary school and apparently they are *thinking* about finding the school's pet rabbits a 'proper home' (seriously, why do schools get 'pets'??).

My friend doesn't know much about them but is pretty sure they're both neutered as he remembers his Mum saying something about preventing litters and he thinks they'd be vaccinated. This is all I know so far - I have no idea about sexes, ages, breeds, what they're living in, if they're tame... Dan will ask his Mum when he sees her during the week.

If they're in need of a home, I'm happy to take them provided they are neutered as I'm not sure I could afford to get that done any time soon (the car is waiting for new brakes which I figure is pretty important! :lol:) and I don't have the space to keep two unneutered bunnies until they're done. (I have an emergency bank account in case of emergency vet bills though :))

I'm thinking if I took them on, I'd have a jiggle about of my current bun housing, bond them to Pharrell and Daphne and put them in the playhouse. I'd have to tell my friends Mum that if they didn't bond, she'd have to take them back and find them a different home. I don't see the harm in trying though, I attempted to bond P&D to Thistle and Jess once and they behaved themselves perfectly - just Jess disliked them.

Do we think my playhouse would be big enough? It's 5X7 with a 6X3 run. I can extend the run by another couple of feet but it can't be any wider as it runs along the back of my shed and I need to be able to fit behind there too!

Sorry I meant to reply to this earlier but I was getting confused by all the times and stuff on other posts :wave:

Size sounds fine to me. I hope the bond goes well for you :wave: have you gotten back to them about it yet?

I'd certainly try. I'm not sure about sizing for four bunnies but the playhouse sounds great. Sorry couldn't get on RU last night it was playing up. :cry:

:lol: I figured my thread might get lost in the space/time continuum last night. I was sitting here waiting thinking 'meh, stupid clock!'

I haven't heard anything more yet but I will post more details when I get them. :)

I'm quite interested to find out how they're being kept at the school though. :oops::? I hope they've done things properly otherwise that's another bunch of school kids who will grow up with the wrong ideas about rabbit care. I think they must be looking after them ok-ish though as Dan is quite sure they've been neutered and it's nice that they got two rather than the usual one bunny one piggy scenario. :)

Ahhh, I really just want to see them now! :lol:

Very exciting both for you and the lucky buns that are being saved from a presumably far from ideal existance!
I think the amount of room sounds OK, especially if they get to run in your garden aswell? Either way I can guarantee it will seem like bunny paradise to the new buns :D
Cant wait to see piccys :love:

Thank you. :)

Apparently the school are only *thinking* about finding them a proper home - hopefully they will decide to go ahead with it.

I hope the playhouse will be enough space for four. I guess they'd be quite small bunnies for the children to handle but knowing my luck they'll be huge! :lol:

Thank you. :)

Apparently the school are only *thinking* about finding them a proper home - hopefully they will decide to go ahead with it.

I hope the playhouse will be enough space for four. I guess they'd be quite small bunnies for the children to handle but knowing my luck they'll be huge! :lol:

Why dont you call the school yourself, tell them you're already a bunny mum and offer them a good home? That might persuade them that they're doing the best by the buns. Promise to take loads of piccys of them in their new home with their new friends for the kiddies so that they can see how they should be kept :love:

Why dont you call the school yourself, tell them you're already a bunny mum and offer them a good home? That might persuade them that they're doing the best by the buns. Promise to take loads of piccys of them in their new home with their new friends for the kiddies so that they can see how they should be kept :love:

I'm not sure what school it is but I think if Dan's mum turns round and says they've changed their minds and they're keeping them, I might find out which school it is and ask if I can pop in for a chat and 'to see how they're being cared for' - hopefully be reeling off the information about hutch sizes and vet costs etc they'll have a rethink! ;)

I hadn't thought of keeping the children up to date if I do take them - I wonder if the children will be upset to see them go?! I might end up with a whole class at my house to see how they are! :lol:

Back