• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 1 into 3 Advice Please

LilVicky

Warren Veteran
Hello Ru! :wave:

I would like some advice and tips on bonding George into my Trio Toffee, Daisy and Fuzzums.

Before he was neutered, Daisy and Fuzzy used to fight just because they could smell him.. let alone see him.

This evening i put George into his run, while the others were free ranging.
Toffee was first to investigate, he doesnt seem that bothered about George... he just wanted to sniff him and watch him...

Daisy then came out of the hutch to see what was going on, she was fine for the first few minutes. Then she started to sort of attack the bars of the run where George was :? and keep running around the run.... So i think she might be a problem when bonding!

Fuzzy came out, had a look and a sniff and went back into the hutch... probably because she could sense Daisy was upset? Even Toffee hopped off when she started... :? When daisy is upset she tends to go for everyone.. :roll:

George was having a sniff at them through the bars, and then went off to do binkies :love:

Because Toffee didnt turn 'agressive' when he was sniffing George i put him in the run with him... At first he just didnt know how he got there :lol: He then again wasnt bothered about George... but wanted to get out! :lol: He had a little chase, which scared George, George then ran everytime Toffee went near him trying to get out :roll: Eventually Toffee jumped out of the run so i brought George back indoors to calm him down.

So really... i need some advice! I have only ever bonded single bunnies! Which was bad enough :roll: Now its a 1 into a 3 to make a 4!

I really dont want him to get hurt... especially by Daisy...

Should i introduce one at a time? or put all of them in together at the same time?

Lots of advice would be appreciated from those who have bonded 1 into an existing group.

Sorry for the long post, hope you can help! :oops: :wave:

Vicky and the gang! :wave:

I have put George back in his run today, as it is lovely outside.
The others are also out...

Fuzzy just keeps trying to sniff George while he does his mad binkies...
Toffee hasnt taken much notice today
And daisy is the same... trying to get to george... i dont know what she would do if she did... she keeps 'digging' at the bars when george comes up to see her..
Fuzzy has been chasing daisy... and her fur is coming out :roll: i think fuzzy maybe boss :shock:

But i have been stopping it with my broom :oops:

So any advice welcome!! :)

If you are planning to bond them all together ensure that you follow the rules, small neutral space with lots of time set by when you can watch and work with them. With a group of 4 rabbits I would ensure that you have at least 4 days where you have no other committments than being with the bunnies

Behaviour though bars can be very different and will not be the same when placed in neutral territory.

I would follow Janice's advice :)

I think I would try and keep them apart until you are ready to bond, otherwise you will get problems with referred aggression, which will just make them more worked up and tense.

As Janice said how they react through bars will give no indication of how they will react when you start bonding them. Small neutral space is the key, if you have any trouble I am just up the road so give me a shout :wave:

Thank you,

I was planning on bonding them the weekend, where i have Friday to Tuesday off. So plenty of time to spend with them.

If you are planning to bond them all together ensure that you follow the rules, small neutral space with lots of time set by when you can watch and work with them. With a group of 4 rabbits I would ensure that you have at least 4 days where you have no other committments than being with the bunnies

Behaviour though bars can be very different and will not be the same when placed in neutral territory.

Mine were watched day and night for about 3 days. I allowed about a week overall with no other commitments. I still haven't plucked up the courage to leave them for any longer than three hours yet.

I don't really have a lot of advice about bonding a group seeing as mine seem to bond themselves but I just wanted to post and say I had a similar problem with my Barley launching himself at the bars if he saw another rabbit.

It was really quite shocking to see - he was like a rabid dog :shock: He was in his hutch and I'd often have another bun or two out free-ranging, if they happened to walk past his hutch, he would chase them and actually run into the hutch wall as he was so intent on watching them that he wasn't watching where he was going.

I really hesitantly decided to bond him to Cloud and set up the shower room, got some thick gloves, a spray bottle and a broom ready... they fell in love at first sight! They've been fine ever since although they often have a little scuffle if another bun hops past their run. Cloud knows to hop on top of the shelter if that happens now. :):lol:

My point is, don't loose heart with Daisy - she may act very differently in a neutral space. :):wave:

i know its going to take a fair bit of time, which is why i want to wait till the weekend... i should finish college this week which means i will have plenty of time to keep watch.

My dad keeps saying... put them all in together.. put them all in the run :roll:
He just dont get it! :roll:

Im not going to loose hope in Daisy, im sure she will come round when the bonding actually starts.

For now i will keep them apart and just looking for some tips on how to start the bonding... whether i should put one in at a time... like Toffee first... then about 5-10minutes later put Fuzzy in and then daisy etc...

Or just put them all in within seconds like a normal bonding process...

Because its 3 to 1 im worried George will get hurt... But seeing how the girls react.. it looks like there will be lots of chasing... to all and not just George.

Thanks for the advice so far! :wave:

I think Janice (being the queen of bonding) has given some sound advice. :)

As already mentioned, neutral territory is the key and Daisy may well be completely different when she's not defending 'her patch' against George the intruder.

I would put all 4 in at the same time and just watch very closely. Best of luck. :D:D:D

:lol::lol::lol: Well all I know is it wasn't lovely Bubbles :love:

You didn't see her attacking the towel last week when we were syringing her some meds. :shock::shock: John was sweating buckets holding her in case he lost a finger. :lol::lol:

I'll be waiting with baited breath for updates on Friday, Vicky. ;)

My boys were really aggressive through the bars with Teddy before i bonded them! Follow the usual rules, ive managed to do it :)

I wouldn't allow them to free range whilst George is in the run, it's referred aggression.
Just follow the usual rules. Small neutral space with nothing smelling of them to cause arguments.

Thanks everyone.

I already have a broom i use outside :lol:
I usaully use it to round them up at night :oops:

I am keeping them seperate till the bonding :) Hopefully start Friday :D

Back