• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im writing a letter (PAH)

skgreene

Warren Scout
i when to PAH yesterday and well read(any tips to whatelse can go in the letter also would be helpful)

To whom it may concern,
I visited your store at ************* r on Saturday 19th June 2010, to purchase a range of your excellent rabbit products which I am always satisfied with and swear by. So I was shocked to find 8 medium sized rabbits and one rabbit that seemed to be of the continental giant breed, these rabbit where scrammed into one of your small rabbit cages with no hay or vegetables which is essential for their digestive health and well being. As if was bad enough I then saw another 6-8 medium sized rabbits in one of the other pens, again with no hay or vegetables.

There was no sign or information concerning to rabbit I believe to be continental breed, that need special hutch or indoor cages as well as information concerning the size this animal will get to and the amount food it will need to grow into a healthy, happy rabbit free from disease and illness. In general the rabbits also had no hides and no obvious toys to create an enriching and suitable environment for these rabbit whilst they are in your care.

The RSPCA recommends that all rabbits have the following(from the RSPCA website);

Rabbits are athletic animals. They need the opportunity to hop, run, jump, dig, stand fully upright on their back legs, and stretch out when lying down.
A rabbit must be able to avoid things that scare it. Rabbits are a prey species and must be able to hide in a secure place, away from the sight and smell of predators (e.g. cats, dogs, ferrets).
Living in a draughty, damp, hot, poorly ventilated or dirty environment may cause your rabbit to suffer and become ill.
A rabbit needs regular access to an appropriate place to go to the toilet.
Rabbits are intelligent. If your rabbit is bored, and doesn’t have enough to do, it may suffer.
Rabbits are inquisitive. If there are hazards within their environment they may easily injure themselves.
Things you should do
Provide your rabbit with a secure living environment that is large enough for it to exercise in and stand up fully on its back legs.
You should provide both a large exercise area and a secure shelter where your rabbit can rest, feel safe and is protected from predators and extremes of weather and temperature. Ensure all areas of your rabbit’s environment are well ventilated, dry and draught-free.
Make sure your rabbit has constant access to safe hiding places where it can escape if it feels afraid.
Allow your rabbit to exercise regularly.
Provide enough bedding to keep your rabbit warm. Bedding should be safe for your rabbit to eat, e.g. dust-free straw or hay.
Give your rabbit regular access to a suitable place where it can go to the toilet, separate to where it eats and sleeps.
Clean the housing and toilet areas regularly.
If you are going away, try to find someone to care for, and meet all your rabbit’s welfare needs within its familiar home. If boarding your rabbit, try to ease the move by keeping grouped rabbits together and taking familiar items, such as toys, along too.
When you transport your rabbit make sure it is comfortable and safe at all times. Putting familiar smelling items in the carrier and the new environment can help make your rabbit feel at ease.
Ensure the size and temperature of any place you leave your rabbit (including your vehicle) is appropriate.
Make sure that where your rabbit lives is safe, secure and free from hazards.

The RWA(Rabbit welfare Association) also recommends the following(from RAW website & educational material);

"HAY IS MAGIC"
Unlimited, good quality hay is the foundation of a healthy diet for pet rabbits. As well as meeting their basic nutritional requirements it has many other benefits. It's so important, it should even be fed to rabbits eating "complete" rabbit foods. Nibbling hay keeps bunnies busy, reducing boredom and helping to prevent behavioural problems. Chewing hay strengthens teeth and jaws. Hay also provides lots of long-strand fibre to maintain healthy
gut movement. Good quality hay - sweet smelling with minimal dust - can be difficult
to find in pet shops. Try riding stables or farms instead. Kiln-dried
grass products can be used alongside or instead of hay, and are
particularly useful if you can't get good hay.

Hutches should be a minimum of 6ft x 2ft x 2ft, and preferably with an attached run to allow the rabbits to exercise at will. The run should be 6ft x 4ft x 4ft as a minimum. Hutch size and runs can
never be too big, so don't skimp, and remember hat a baby rabbit will grow so never be
tempted by the ‘starter hutches’ as they are a false economy. You don’t have to stick to the
traditional hutch as a home for your rabbits, a garden shed, or child's wooden Wendy house can both make fabulous ‘warrens’. Many rabbit owners put a cat flap in their garden sheds to an outdoor run so that the rabbits can exercise when they please, and bird aviaries can make great homes and they
have the added benefit that you can walk around in them so no more stooping to get the rabbit out of the run!

Also the Animal Welfare Act 2007 states that all animals must;

When does the new law come into effect? From 6 April 2007 in England, and in Wales from 27 March, the animal welfare law is being improved. It is still against the law to be cruel to an animal, but now you must also ensure that all the welfare needs of your animals are met.
What does the new law do?
It makes owners and keepers responsible for ensuring
that the welfare needs of their animals are met. These
include the need:
For a suitable environment (place to live)
For a suitable diet
To exhibit normal behaviour patterns
To be housed with, or apart from, other animals (if applicable)
To be protected from pain, injury, suffering and disease
The new law also increases to 16 the minimum age
at which a person can buy an animal and prohibits giving animals as prizes to unaccompanied children under this age.
Anyone who is cruel to an animal, or does not provide for its welfare needs, may be banned from owning animals, fined up to £20,000 and/or sent to prison.
What does it mean to me and my rabbit?
It's not acceptable to keep a solitary rabbit in a small hutch, without the opportunity to exercise. Sadly we know that this is still the case for thousands of pet rabbits in the UK, as they are the most neglected domestic pet. Make sure that you are providing your rabbits with everything they need to live a long and happy life.

I was satisfied with ******* Pets At Home and how their rabbits were kept and visited weekly and spent between £15-£20 per week for all my pets, I now with be shopping elsewhere from now on until your standards for keeping your animals is improved to a more suitable condition and the information provided to new owners is also improved. I look forward to reply.

Your Sincerely

Miss S.k.Greene

What do you think???? any thing else i could add???

Last edited:
any one got any advice??? ive add this in already;

I was satisfied with ****** Pets At Home and how their rabbits were kept and visited weekly and spent between £15-£20 per week for all my pets. Also I do not believe that your slogan “where pets come first” is a reflection of the condition that your animals are kept in, whilst in your care. I now with be shopping elsewhere from now on until your standards for keeping your animals is improved to a more suitable condition and the information provided to new owners is also improved. I look forward to reply

I think it gets your point across well but I can imagine them writing back and saying something along the line of 'the RSPCA/welfare conditions you have referred to are really directed at rabbit owners rather than pet shops and we take every possible step to insure are customers are aware of these needs before selling. As a shop, it is very hard to meet all of these needs....' etc etc.

I think it'd be better to only include the points that are relevent to the pet shop - ie, take out the bits about going away, transportation and whatnot as these aren't really relevent to a shop and it's just making the letter longer. Head office will probably just skim read it unless it's short and to the point.

Personally, I think you'd get a better response quoting the terms of their pet shop license (you can find these on your local council website) as these are things they MUST abide by and failure to do so could well lead to the lisence being taken away (make it obvious that you're aware of this fact! ;)). After all, the RSPCA have no real legal power and the stuff on their website is 'guidelines' rather than 'absolutely nessecary'.

I'd bet my last penny that the lovely Snouter will be along with some advice on this at some point today! :D

I think it gets your point across well but I can imagine them writing back and saying something along the line of 'the RSPCA/welfare conditions you have referred to are really directed at rabbit owners rather than pet shops and we take every possible step to insure are customers are aware of these needs before selling. As a shop, it is very hard to meet all of these needs....' etc etc.

I think it'd be better to only include the points that are relevent to the pet shop - ie, take out the bits about going away, transportation and whatnot as these aren't really relevent to a shop and it's just making the letter longer. Head office will probably just skim read it unless it's short and to the point.

Personally, I think you'd get a better response quoting the terms of their pet shop license (you can find these on your local council website) as these are things they MUST abide by and failure to do so could well lead to the lisence being taken away (make it obvious that you're aware of this fact! ;)). After all, the RSPCA have no real legal power and the stuff on their website is 'guidelines' rather than 'absolutely nessecary'.

I'd bet my last penny that the lovely Snouter will be along with some advice on this at some point today! :D

Absolutely agree with the above.

The following should give you some ammunition.

P@H's licence details.

http://licensing.exeter.gov.uk/protected/wca/publicRegisterDetail.jsp?lic_id=263

Licence terms and conditions:

http://www.exeter.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=12627&p=0

Provide specific details of what you observed in the store compared to what the licence Ts&Cs state should be happening.

For example:

"Clause X states ....."
"I observed ...."

Clearly a non-compliance.

Then there's all the stuff about P@H's claims re:

• Animal welfare.
  • Staff knowledge/training.
  • Provision of customer information.
:wave:Good luck with this.

A minor point, but I'd take out the reference to vegetables. It's not necessary for rabbits to have veggies 24 hours a day, like it is hay, so I think it potentially weakens the argument.

To whom it may concern,
I visited your store at R***n L**e R****l P**k, E****r on Saturday 19th June 2010, to purchase a range of your rabbit products which I am always satisfied with and swear by. So I was shocked to find 8 medium sized rabbits and one rabbit that seemed to be of the continental giant type, these rabbit where scrammed into one of your small rabbit cages with no hay which is essential for their digestive health and well being. As if was bad enough I then saw another 6-8 medium sized rabbits in one of the other pens, again with no hay.

There was no sign or information concerning to rabbit I believe to be continental breed, that it will need special hutch or indoor cage as well as information concerning the size this animal will get to and the amount food it will need to grow into a healthy, happy rabbit free from disease and illness. In general the rabbits also had no hides and no obvious toys to create an enriching and suitable environment for these rabbit whilst they are in your care.

The RSPCA recommends that all rabbits have the following(from the RSPCA website);
A rabbit must be able to avoid things that scare it. Rabbits are a prey species and must be able to hide in a secure place, away from the sight and smell of predators (e.g. cats, dogs, ferrets).
Living in a draughty, damp, hot, poorly ventilated or dirty environment may cause your rabbit to suffer and become ill.
A rabbit needs regular access to an appropriate place to go to the toilet.
Rabbits are intelligent. If your rabbit is bored, and doesn’t have enough to do, it may suffer.
Rabbits are inquisitive. If there are hazards within their environment they may easily injure themselves.
Things you should do
Provide your rabbit with a secure living environment that is large enough for it to exercise in and stand up fully on its back legs.
You should provide both a large exercise area and a secure shelter where your rabbit can rest, feel safe and is protected from predators and extremes of weather and temperature. Ensure all areas of your rabbit’s environment are well ventilated, dry and draught-free.
Make sure your rabbit has constant access to safe hiding places where it can escape if it feels afraid.
Allow your rabbit to exercise regularly.
Provide enough bedding to keep your rabbit warm. Bedding should be safe for your rabbit to eat, e.g. dust-free straw or hay.
Give your rabbit regular access to a suitable place where it can go to the toilet, separate to where it eats and sleeps.
Clean the housing and toilet areas regularly.
Ensure the size and temperature of any place you leave your rabbit (including your vehicle) is appropriate.
Make sure that where your rabbit lives is safe, secure and free from hazards.

The RWA(Rabbit welfare Association) also recommends the following(from RAW website & educational material);
"HAY IS MAGIC"
Unlimited, good quality hay is the foundation of a healthy diet for pet rabbits. As well as meeting their basic nutritional requirements it has many other benefits. It's so important, it should even be fed to rabbits eating "complete" rabbit foods. Nibbling hay keeps bunnies busy, reducing boredom and helping to prevent behavioural problems. Chewing hay strengthens teeth and jaws. Hay also provides lots of long-strand fibre to maintain healthy
gut movement.

Also the Animal Welfare Act 2007;
When does the new law come into effect? From 6 April 2007 in England, and in Wales from 27 March, the animal welfare law is being improved. It is still against the law to be cruel to an animal, but now you must also ensure that all the welfare needs of your animals are met.
What does the new law do?
It makes owners and keepers responsible for ensuring
that the welfare needs of their animals are met. These
include the need:
For a suitable environment (place to live)
For a suitable diet
To exhibit normal behaviour patterns
To be housed with, or apart from, other animals (if applicable)
To be protected from pain, injury, suffering and disease
The new law also increases to 16 the minimum age at which a person can buy an animal and prohibits giving animals as prizes to unaccompanied children under this age.
Anyone who is cruel to an animal, or does not provide for its welfare needs, may be banned from owning animals, fined up to £20,000 and/or sent to prison.

This means not providing hay for your rabbits is clearly non-compliance to the fact that they need a suitable diet, this is thus a in violation of the Animal Welfare Act 2007.

Also Exeter City council terms and conditions of your pet shop licence state the following;

A THE STANDARD LICENCE CONDITIONS
1.0 Accommodation
1.1 Animals must at all times be kept in accommodation suitable with respect to
Construction, size temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness.
1.2 Animals must not be exposed to draughts and must be kept in an environment suitable to the species. If animals are displayed outdoors, they should have protection appropriate to their species.
1.5 All livestock, for sale, must be readily accessible and easy to inspect.
1.6 Accommodation must be cleaned as often as necessary to maintain good hygiene standards, consistent with the rate of stock turnover.
1.7 Where accommodation is on a tiered system, water, food or other droppings must not be allowed to enter the lower housing.
1.8 All accessories provided in the accommodation must be suitable for the species.
2.0 Exercise Facilities
2.1 Facilities must be available where appropriate.

NB: for example, in the case of puppies, if they are kept longer than five days, an exercise pen should be provided.
6.0 Food and Drink
6.1 Animals must be supplied with adequate amounts of food and drink,
appropriate to their needs, and at suitable intervals.
6.2 All food must be suitable for the species concerned.
6.3 Food and drink receptacles must be constructed and positioned to minimise
faecal contamination.

6.4 A sufficient number of receptacles must be provided and cleaned at regular
intervals.
8.0 Observation
8.1 All livestock must be attended to at regular intervals, appropriate to the
species.

N.B: In no circumstances will this be less than daily.

14.0 Pet Care Advice
14.1 Pet Care Trust leaflets or other similar written instructions should be made
available to customers where appropriate at the time of purchase.
14.2 Purchasers of accessories should, where necessary, be given proper advice as to their maintenance and use.
14.3 The Pet Care Trust Store Manual or other appropriate reference books must always be available for use by staff.
15.0 Staff Training and Livestock Knowledge
15.1 No animal should be stocked or sold unless the staff (or a member of
the staff) is familiar with the care and welfare of that animal.
15.2 In respect of new applications, at least one member of staff working at the licensed premises must hold the City and Guilds Pet Store Management Certificate, or some other appropriate qualifications, or must be in the course of training to take the examination (within two years of the introduction of these conditions).
15.3 The licensee must formulate a written training policy for all permanent staff, and will be required to demonstrate that systematic training is carried out.
B FURTHER RECOMMENDATIONS

3.0 Trade Associations
3.1 Licensees are recommended to apply for membership of an appropriate trade
organisation which might act as a point of reference should any disputes over
the licence conditions arise.

SCHEDULE 2
STOCKING DENSITIES – SMALL MAMMALS
Species Minimum floor Area* Minimum Cage
(Sq.cm) Height (cm)
Single Each Additional
Mice 200 50 20
Hamsters 300 75 20
Gerbils 300 75 20
Rats 500 125 20
Guinea Pigs 700 175 20
Rabbits 2000 500 50

* Minimum floor areas apply to young stock. For adult stock offered for sale the dimensions should be doubled.

In this case clause 14.1 states Pet Care Trust leaflets or other similar written instructions should be made available to customers where appropriate at the time of purchase.
I saw no material on the care of giant rabbit, as they have very different need to small or medium sized rabbits I believe another leaflet should be provided or a sign stating that these are large rabbit to make new owners aware of this.

Also clause 6.2 All food must be suitable for the species concerned. As no hay where obviously available to the animals this is no breach of this clause as it essential to the species to the animal in this case rabbits to have unlimited hay.

To me if clause 6.2 wasn’t enforced then could 8.1 All livestock must be attended to at regular intervals, appropriate to the species. Might be non-compliance to is staff didn’t refill the hay that the rabbit need.
The failing to follow the terms and conditions can lead to the licence being revoked.

I was satisfied with T*****n Pets At Home and how their rabbits were kept and visited weekly and spent between £15-£20 per week for all my pets. Also I do not believe that your slogan “where pets come first” is a reflection of the condition that your animals are kept in, whilst in your care. I now with be shopping elsewhere from now on until your standards for keeping your animals is improved to a more suitable condition and the information provided to new owners is also improved. I look forward to reply.

Your Sincerely

Miss S.k.Greene

Hows that????? it 5 pages so i might need to cut some general stuff out :?

If you want to reduce the size of the letter, I would respectfully suggest that you just refer to the relevant clause numbers and the details of the non-compliances that you observed in each case. P@H are (or should be) entirely capable of reading the details of what they should be complying with in the licence. They should not need spoon-feeding with the full text of the clause.

Plus, for example, general questions asking them to confirm and describe their procedures. Then they either have to confirm them or admit their absence.:shock:

Back