• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please

I hope i have put this on the right section if not sorry. I went to check my rabbits and guineas this morning and found my female rabbit had given birth to 3 babies 2 was dead on the floor and the other was still stuck and twist this one was dead as well. Her being pregnant was a complete accident we think it happened when i boy excaped. She it a very small bunny and he is a big bunny so we would have never put these to to getther as i know this is a big no no. I just would like some advice on what to do she is still panting and i did go to her and she let me stroke her and the baby that was stuck came out i would like to know if i sould remove the dead babies or leave them until she has stopped panting and started to be more herself. i don't want to rush her to the vets and upset her if she is still in labour. she has past what i can only descibe as blood clot looking lump is this normal.

I'd get her to a vet. Ring them first and get their advice quickly though. Expain everything you just did here. I hope she's ok.

Hi all just to let everyone know i got in touch with the vet on sunday who recommended i left her to get on with the births as she was still in labour. she gave birth to her 4 baby about 2.30pm and which was dead she lost all her babies. She has made a good recovery and is cleaning herself and eat and drinking well. she is also flunting herself at our boy bunnies back to her cheeky self A BIG THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE ADVICE.

Michelle

Please get the rabbits neutered/spayed now, as chances are you'll soon find yourself in the same predicament otherwise. Happy to hear the bunny has made a good recovery.

Awww sorry the little ones didnt make it :( Great news that shes ok though :D

Get her spayed to avoid it happening again and to stop her from getting uterine cancer :wave:

help please

Sorry the babies didn't make it:cry:but do make sure that your female bunny is kept away from the boy bun as she will be very fertile after giving birth :shock:If she is "flaunting" herself in front of him it would not take much for her to get pregnant again (about 1 second:oops::lol:)having her spayed will stop this and she can then be bonded with your boy:)

I was not planing to bond her with the boy how got as her is a big bunny i have a dwaft lop boy who i have had sniped just wait a couple more weeks before i pair them as it was 3 weeks ago that he went to the vets i think he will be a more appoprate (sorry can't spell) due to her being a lion head bun and she does look danty. the babies she had i have never seen such huge babies it made my eye water having to watch her.

It is still worth getting your female neutered, as this reduces the chance of her developing uterine cancer which is very common in female rabbits.

If you got your other male rabbit neutered and had suitable accomodation you could bond all three into one group

I was not planing to bond her with the boy how got as her is a big bunny i have a dwaft lop boy who i have had sniped just wait a couple more weeks before i pair them as it was 3 weeks ago that he went to the vets i think he will be a more appoprate (sorry can't spell) due to her being a lion head bun and she does look danty. the babies she had i have never seen such huge babies it made my eye water having to watch her.

I'm really sorry to hear your bunny lost her babies. :( That must have been a horrible thing for you to have seen too.

I just wanted to comment and say that you must not put your female in with your neutered male so soon - even after neutering, a male can still be fertile for anything up to eight weeks (strange but true!) so you might find yourself in the same situation again entirely unexpectedly. It will be fine to bond them after the eight weeks is up though.

It's really good that you've had him neutered - it's a really responsible thing to do. :):wave:

8 weeks is a long wait. I know most vets say 6 weeks but I bond my rabbits after 4 weeks. I've done this for well over 10 years with all my rabbits and never had a pregnancy.

8 weeks is a long wait. I know most vets say 6 weeks but I bond my rabbits after 4 weeks. I've done this for well over 10 years with all my rabbits and never had a pregnancy.

I think waiting the full eight weeks would be very sensible seeing as the doe had so many problems giving birth. I for one wouldn't want any risk what-so-ever of her getting pregnant again. There IS a risk at any time before eight weeks (I think you've been very lucky if you've introduced after four weeks!) so I think it's vital that the OP waits unless they want to risk more kits and the does life.

Back