• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some advice please...

Jenefina

Mama Doe
Last night I had to take Pudding to the emergency vets as she stopped eating and was hunching in obvious pain. The vet couldn't find a cause but said her tummy felt a bit tender. She also noticed that her cheek teeth were slightly misaligned and that she had a couple of tiny spurs but she didn't think they were a problem as there was no damage to the cheek or tongue and also Pud is a huge hay eater so we concluded that we'd keep an eye on for the future but dismiss as an immediate symptom.

Anyway, she had all the shots (metaclop, baytril, metacam, zantac and fluids) and within about half hour of her being home she was gorging herself on hay and did a couple of strings of pearls. This makes me think she had a bit of fur blockage as she's still sat in the tray stuffing her face with hay after inhaling her pellets in her usual manner.

So, bearing in mind that Pud is a very angry Nethie and hates being touched by lowly humans, do I keep on and do the 7 days of baytril the vet recommended 'just in case' or do I see how she goes? She's done this once before and had a string of pearls and been fine so I'm tempted not to stress her out as I don't think with the way she is now that its an infection.....

Yeah its very unusual for her to be the ill one, like I said its happened once before but she pulled herself round after I gave her a teeny bit of metacam and infacol. looking at her last night about half hour after she came back from the vets you wouldn't have known anything had been wrong, back to her usual feisty self, just a couple of large stringy poops and she was ravenous for her hay....

Just don't want to stress her out unnecessarily as she hates being handled she only just about tolerates being stroked and only by me (she hates my OH!) and with her being so well again so quickly and currently still munching hay (she's barely taken a breather) I just don't know what to do for the best.... Why do they always pick a weekend when my normal vets aren't open???

Tell me about it! :( you should get Neil's mobile number.

It is very likely it's a fur blockage, everyone's been moulting like mad. I've heard of people giving enemas (with pineapple juice I think) when their buns have a fur ball.... You could just try her without the baytril and if she seems to slow down again a bit and you're worried it actually was an infection, start giving her it.

Sending you a big Castiel hug xxx

Poor Pudding! I'd be inclined to continue with the prescribed course of antibiotics. I'm not sure what infection the vet thinks she may have though? An oral one? :?

Hope she's fine now, how else will she threaten Robert with that face if she stops eating? :lol:

:lol: I think Pud and Gertie should have a competition, who's the angriest bun in the world :lol:

They always without fail give baytril at the emergency vets, regardless of what's presenting, on a just in case basis. When I used to take Pye for his tum problems they always used to try and send me home with a 7 day course, think its mainly to cover all bases.

I think the vet was with me on fur blockage and I honestly don't think she has got an infection but I don't know if I'm faltering on course of treatments cos I'm so soft on her and the fact that she's still stuffing her face with hay now.....

Why can't it just be simple for once??

How are you giving it, orally? Why not carry it on for the weekend, then ring up the vet tomorrow and say how she is, what happened and see what they say then?

It's never easy, you should know that by now. :lol:

Her baytril isn't 'due' till tonight so I haven't done anything yet..... She was also prescribed metaclop but she's doing her usual pooping for England so I have no problem with leaving that in the cupboard.

I think I'm over worrying because its so out of character for her, she the strong, little angry bun who charges round and stuffs her face at an alarming rate for her size so when she stopped eating last night it was such a shock.

I'll try and nab her tonight and give her it (its oral baytril) but I know she's gonna proper stress and I don't wan to do more harm than good.... argh, why am I so indecisive!!

I think I'm most scared of suffering her wrath...
pUD.jpg

I think I'm most scared of suffering her wrath...
pUD.jpg

:lol::lol::love:

I know what you mean though! Those tough girlies can be the worst patients! Does she sit on your lap for strokes? I found that a good way to give oral meds. Bum towards you, nose at your knees, a couple of minutes stoking then BAM! in with the meds. :lol:

I know I've never left there without a bottle of Baytril, think they just like the extra charge :roll: look at her little face. That isn't wrath, have you seen Castiel!

Could a fur blockage lead to an infection though? It is like an alien body in their gut.

Thats one of her less disapproving pics, didn't want to scare anyone this early on a Sunday!

She doesn't sit on a hooins knee :shock: Pud doesn't even come to you for grooms, she'll just occasionally relent and let you touch her but most of the time she sit a good distance away and glares! Trying to catch her last night to take her to the vets was a mare! I swear she practices gymnastics when I'm not looking :roll:

I'm not sure about a fur blockage causing infection as the ingest it quite a bit from grooming from what I've seen, I think it just normally passes through without problems.....

Personally I'd try putting the baytril in some food as she's good with being handled :love: ;) Perhaps she eat a little bit of porridge with it in?

Back