• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single rabbits

isla

Mama Doe
I know its only been a few days since Nunzeo died, and me and Abbey are having a really hard time with it. But I really want someone to tell me if she'll be ok on her own forever, or if I will have to get her another bun.

In winter I plan to get her a pig lamp,for wamth if she is on her own. But what about the rest of it, she is only 3.5 years.

How do single buns cope?

I think it depends on the rabbit; some need rabbit company more than others. Also on your situation - if you're in all day to keep her company it's different to if you are out at work a lot.

I personally would be reluctant to keep a single rabbit again having seen how much they appreciate living in pairs; it's your decision though, and you don't need to rush into anything just yet...hope you're ok. xx

I think it depends on the rabbit; some need rabbit company more than others. Also on your situation - if you're in all day to keep her company it's different to if you are out at work a lot.

I personally would be reluctant to keep a single rabbit again having seen how much they appreciate living in pairs; it's your decision though, and you don't need to rush into anything just yet...hope you're ok. xx

I know what you mean, the worst bit about it all is she has no one to run in circles with, the way they do when they are excited about dinner time. She isn't even circling my feet at the moment, which they always did together. I've been sitting inher shed with her at dinner time, I know it sounds sad, but I don't think she should have to eat her dinner on her own, she doesn't even like people that much, but I think it's nicer for her.

I am sure your bunny will be fine as a single rabbit, but there are lots of bunnies in rescues if and when you do feel up to looking for a friend. Give it a few weeks and then see how you feel.

I wouldn't keep a rabbit on it's own, personally. I'd either get her a friend or find her a new home. she's so young and has known a friend so it would be a shame for her to be alone for the rest of her life - particularly if she doesn't really like human company.
you may be able to find a rescue who would bond for you.

im really sorry for your loss :cry::cry::cry::cry:

i would only keep a rabbit on its own if it had never had rabbit company before. once they have had that love and snuggle time i think its unfair not to replace it.

bunnies who have only ever had human contact don't really know what they are missing i reakon, but bunnies who have had another bunny must really miss that contact once its gone.

Holly had only been at the rescue for a week and she was really down, when i saw her she was back to the world refusing food. i think she had previously lived with a sister and i dont know how long she was single before the rescue but she really perked up having Alvin next door and they bonded like a dream, even with his humpy ways :love::love: The day after Alvin got the the rescue he was binkying again a lot different in rabbit company that being here with just humans :love::love:

I wouldn't keep a rabbit on it's own, personally. I'd either get her a friend or find her a new home.

that was my options with Alvin, i wanted to keep him single but i knew i couldnt do it to him, and the day i bought him home at 8 weeks old i promised him it was a home forever so that left just the one option... holly :love:

Charlee has not been with a bun since she was born. She is 7 months old now and very happy. She binkies all over the joint and loves attention. But my work hours make it unfair on her so we are looking for a friend. I have my eye on one girl but not sure how they would get on (as they are both girls). We shall see!

Having two rabbits together is a feeling like no other... I had a customer who said she has had single rabbits all her life and they 'seemed fine' but you RU would be proud and I declined her a rabbit as she has no intention of getting him a friend. I would never have a rabbit single unless there was a serious problem that stopped him/her not having a friend. I HATE the thought of rabbits being all lone some when I know how much they crave of their OWN company. They are animals that live in colonies so I believe they should always be with their own kind - human company is just not the same I feel.

sorry, kind of went off there but I am sorry to hear about Nunzeo :( xxx

Im probably going to get shot down for this, but i dont think its 'bad' to keep house buns by themselves - Scamp is fine by himself, although hes never known other bun company. However, i think its pretty cruel to keep a bunny outside alone :( They really would be lonely :( xXx

I'm still so confused about what to do, I know its wrong but the only reason I rescued Abbey was because I didn't want Nunzeo to be on his own. In no way is Abbey being neglected, but she and I never really got on, everything was always done for him - he was my angel.

I don't know what to do, I don't want to rehome her - I do love her, I don't want another rabbit and I don't want her to be lonely.

I think it would be very tough to rescue another bun, there is so much myxi around here, I'm surprised they haven't caught it yet. There is also a few free roaming dogs, that can't get too closeto the run, but still do like to have a nose around.

Everything else would be fine, Abb's has a big shed and run, fed and watered everyday, and endless amounts ofhay and toys.

It's still very soon after Nunzeo's passing, you don;t have to rush it....there's no deadline :)

I had Sorrel as a single houserabbit for ages and yes, she was happy - but once I'd got her a friend I realised that something had been missing which she probably didn't even realise herself.

It's much like how I thought I was "happy" before I got the rabbits - but now there is no way I would willingly be without pets again, I'd be so lonely.

Why is it that you don't want another rabbit - just the myxi and the dogs?

Anyway I am genuinely not trying to sway you one way or the other, even though I know that's how it comes across :oops: just explaining the experience I've had with my own buns.

I'm still so confused about what to do, I know its wrong but the only reason I rescued Abbey was because I didn't want Nunzeo to be on his own. In no way is Abbey being neglected, but she and I never really got on, everything was always done for him - he was my angel.

I don't know what to do, I don't want to rehome her - I do love her, I don't want another rabbit and I don't want her to be lonely.

I think it would be very tough to rescue another bun, there is so much myxi around here, I'm surprised they haven't caught it yet. There is also a few free roaming dogs, that can't get too closeto the run, but still do like to have a nose around.

Everything else would be fine, Abb's has a big shed and run, fed and watered everyday, and endless amounts ofhay and toys.
If you get them vaccinated the chances of them catching myxi is so low.

You said you got her so nunzeo wouldn't be alone so you clearly see the importance in 24/7 company of their own species - something space and toys can't make up for.

Obviously it's your decision to make but if, as you say, you've never been particularly close to this bun, I would rehome her to go somewhere with a husbun and an attentive family. I hate to say it but without nunzeo to go and spend time with it's likely you'll spend less time with abbey than you did before.

How old is she?

Back