• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Contact with other bunnies through a cage - is this ok?

martlou

Warren Veteran
Hi, we have Ted and Rosie, 2 house bunnies who have free range of kitchen/dining room when we're out, which is extended to living room as well when we're in. As of today we're looking after a couple of other house bunnies for a friendfor a week - they are in a cage in the friend's kitchen and we're letting them have a run out when we go over to feed them.

What I'd like to know is, if we bring the other bunnies to our house will this adversely affect our's bond for any reason? The plan would be to keep them in their cage whilst ours were in the room, but then to keep ours in kitchen/dining room and let the other 2 bunnies have a run out in the living room. I feel sad that they're in the cage with no people company (although at least they have each other) when they could come here.

So, ours would have contact with them through the cage (all the bunnies are vaccinated and neutered) but not free ranging contact.

Can anyone tell me if this is ok, or could the other bunny smells affect Ted and Rosie's bond? Or any other problems I don't know about?

It could affect their bond, yes - it's called "referred aggression". Your buns might want to attack the intruders but can't , so they could turn on each other. Plus there's the quarantine issue. I'd keep them in different rooms. Even being able to smell that other rabbits have been in one of "their" places could, potentially, trigger a fight. It might not - but it could, and that's a big chance to take. :?

you could only try and see what happens if it kicks off then you know you will have to remove your friends rabbits:D

Thanks. I originally thought that and wondered how you go on Angie, when you have your own bunnies and they obviously come into a fair bit of contact with other bunnies which are mainly 'passing through'. I think we will bring them back with us (it was quite horrible leaving them this morning, they could have a lot more freedom here for the week) and if it looks like there's any problems we'll have to take them home again. At least it's only for a week so if it doesn't work out here it won't be long until they've got their usual amount of freedom back.

Thanks for your help :D

Thanks. I originally thought that and wondered how you go on Angie, when you have your own bunnies and they obviously come into a fair bit of contact with other bunnies which are mainly 'passing through'. I think we will bring them back with us (it was quite horrible leaving them this morning, they could have a lot more freedom here for the week) and if it looks like there's any problems we'll have to take them home again. At least it's only for a week so if it doesn't work out here it won't be long until they've got their usual amount of freedom back.

Thanks for your help :D

nemo and tanya are ok as long as the "intruders" dont go right up to their "house" ;)

I only havea couple of pairs that aren't to happy with newbies all the rest don't bother at all:D
Good luck and hope it works as it will be alot easier for you also:D

Well we brought them home, and they lasted all of half an hour. Rosie ran straight up to the cage and tried to attack Ziggy through the bars so we moved them straight back out. We then had a good clean up and fabrezed the areas the new bunnies had been in. Ted and Rosie are snarling at each other this morning (and they're in a room the other bunnies haven't been anywhere near) and Ted has even nipped Martyn which is unheard of. I just feel upset now that all the bunnies have been disturbed for no reason and I'm really worried that ours are not going to be ok :(.

oh dear ... im sure they will settle back down .. :(

silly buns ..unfortunatly some buns just dont like others in their space :( and the worst thing is you dont know until you try .:(

(i didnt know it was Ziggy you were looking after ..is he ok ?...give him a cuddle from me :love: )

Just got back from work and they're both in one piece, no lumps of fur anywhere. Rosie is still trying to sniff Ted's bum a lot :oops: although this isn't new behaviour :oops: and push her face into his. It's these things that Ted's taking offence to and then they start snapping at each other. It's funny how she can't seem to decide whether she wants to be submissive or not though. Ted's been trying to mount her recently, which is quite unusual but I'm glad he has because I don't want her to think she's top bunny and she's more prone to try and bully him than the other way round.

Yes, Angie, it's Ziggy and Daisy we're looking after. Ziggy is fine, he looks really well (although his eye's still a bit runny - the vet said it will probably always be like this and they have some ointment incase it gets worse (in fact it might have been your vet it came from?). He's a lovely lad and has had plenty of snuggles already. He was really excited to see me this morning when I went to feed them. I know it's only a few days until they get back, I just feel sorry for them :().

Ok, they've been for a run round the garden now and seem fine and more settled. However, Rosie did 6 poos outside (a lovely golden colour, clever girl :lol:) and kept holding her tail really high and letting a few drips of wee come out. She's NEVER done any toileting in the garden before, do you think she's just making sure any imposter bunnies know it's somebunny else's territory? (the other buns did not go anywhere near the garden).

Back