• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long does chasing carry on for after bonding?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Spudsey and black bunny have been together for three weeks tomorrow. Spudsey (the female) is still chasing poor lickle black bunny and is pulling his fur out. They appear to sit with each other on occasions, but not as close as Spudsey used to be with her last partner, and I have seen them nose rub. I can't remember how long it took before Spudseys partner stopped chasing her for. They are also living in a very small space (a small run only) as the new hutch run is taking a bit longer than expected....though both are now constructed just the top to go!

I expect frustrations over space are escalating any chasing and fur pulling behaviour. All bonds are different and take different lengths of time. If a pair are still nipping and chasing I would also be wary about giving them too much space to soon... it may be over space but it may equally be a fragile bond that just hasn't established itself - perhaps this couple are not meant to be? and that it is on the verge of breaking if you expand space too quickly.
Bunny bonds in my experience continue to develop over months and years not weeks.

Hello
Thanks for your reply, I posted in rabbit chat too as I didn't think anyone was going to!
I was assessing the bunnies earlier and twice Spudsey went over to Black Bunny and was licking his ears etc, he appeared to be enjoying it :) but every now and again she seemed to want to investigate the rest of him which he was a bit wary about and this led to her fur pulling and chasing again....I haven't seen him lick her yet, but then with her last partner Spudsey was forever doing the licking despite nudging her head under his on numerous occasions, he never got the hint!
Black Bunny seems to be quite a young rabbit and I think Spudsey has just un-nerved him slightly with her chasing, though they have been sat side by side eating out of the same bowl plus he is still grooming himself etc so assume he can't see her as any kind of threat?

My two have been bonded for about 3 months and every now and again they still have little fads of chasing and humping, i'm sure it'll settle in time, Jess seems to lick Joe more than the other way round too, i think it's a male thing lol.

My two have been bonded for about 3 months and every now and again they still have little fads of chasing and humping, i'm sure it'll settle in time, Jess seems to lick Joe more than the other way round too, i think it's a male thing lol.

Thanks for that. I really want to put them in the new hutch and run as soon as its ready, i know I'll be giving them more space but I think my wildie is getting really frustrated in that run, she is probably desperate to binky!

Thanks for that. I really want to put them in the new hutch and run as soon as its ready, i know I'll be giving them more space but I think my wildie is getting really frustrated in that run, she is probably desperate to binky!

yes I'm sure they'll really appreciate the extra room, when i put mine outside a few weeks ago from being housebuns into their new hutch/run it did seem to cause a flare up of "i'm the boss rabbit" type chasing and humping (you should see a nethie dwarf trying to hump a big male lop - not very ladylike i can assure you :shock: :lol:) but it very quickly settled down again.

Fur Pulling..

Hi,

We have three rabbits that are being bonded at the moment and all of them have been snuggling and grooming. When we let them have a bit more space two of them started pulling out each others hair. They have been sent back to the small cage and were fine again for a day of so. Now the other two are pulling our hair and chasing..

its always between our rabbit Shi and one of the other two.
Can someone help me as i really thought things were going well.. they were all sent to a rescue two weeks before to bond and were released as they were fine!

Hi,

We have three rabbits that are being bonded at the moment and all of them have been snuggling and grooming. When we let them have a bit more space two of them started pulling out each others hair. They have been sent back to the small cage and were fine again for a day of so. Now the other two are pulling our hair and chasing..

Can someone help me as i really thought things were going well.. they were all sent to a rescue two weeks before to bond and were released as they were fine!

It sounds like they are still trying to establish who is in charge. As long as it doesn't escalate into actual fighting and biting then leave them to it as once they have established a pecking order it should all settle down again.

Hi,

Its a worry isn't it? I'm been picking up black bunny and giving him a check over to make sure he hasn't actually been bitten and it is just fur shes pulling!

So is the pulling of Fur not classed as an actual fight? I keep finding clumps. Shall I keep them all together still? its just I am at work and worry that it will develop into a fight.

The 2nd time I bonded Spudsey she had an actual fight with the other rabbit and it was quite obvious that they were as they were rolling around with each other :shock: I got bitten in the process of trying to seperate them.
The chasing that mine are doing at the moment isn't constant, they sit near each other, shes licked his head and they are both eating and grooming ok. I am removing fur everyday normally from the water bowl :roll:
I've not tried bonding three I'm afraid (I would be far too nervous :oops:) but it sounds like they're still just sorting themselves out as to who is boss. Just keep an eye on them when you're at home. A more experienced bunny person may give you some more advice :)

Back