• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

An unusual wildie near us!

Squizz

Alpha Buck
I went to the creek near our house tonight, where there are a lot of wild buns, and spotted this unusual one amongst their number....

100.jpg

101.jpg

and this picture I just like, despite the poor quality!

098.jpg

Last edited:
:love::love: gorgeous! I wonder if he's just a pet that somebody's set free? Although saying that he looks very similar to the agouti babies in front of him :)

We get ginger wildies near us too!

5800_145172531284_518881284_3777430_6494542_n.jpg

(excuse me being in the picture, I was trying to decide if it was wild or not - it definately was!)

:love::love: gorgeous! I wonder if he's just a pet that somebody's set free? Although saying that he looks very similar to the agouti babies in front of him :)

yeah I wondered that - There was a couple that colour though - if it was a pet it has got on very well with the locals and found himself a love interest!

Last year I spotted a black bunny amongst them, no sign of him today though :(

We get ginger wildies near us too!

5800_145172531284_518881284_3777430_6494542_n.jpg

(excuse me being in the picture, I was trying to decide if it was wild or not - it definately was!)

ahh he looks exactly the same colour. I think the features give away that the one I saw was wild - must be a genetic throwback!

Wow - beautiful pics!! :love:

The more 'wildie' pics I see (and wildie buns' I watch lol) the more I think Jack has wildie in him..... Hollie looks and is so 'clumsy' in movement compared to him.

I've seen black wildies before at Gibraltar Point nature reserve in Skegness. :)

We often get black buns in the local bun colony. Could be a domestic gone wild or just a recessive gene.

We often get black buns in the local bun colony. Could be a domestic gone wild or just a recessive gene.

rabbit genetics are a mystery to me. We got a rabbit from a rescue who then turned out to be pregnant, so we don't know what the dad looked like, but she had one rabbit identical to her: agouti and sticky up ears, a harlequin with sticky up ears, and a mini LOP, white with grey ears! You'd never guess they all had the same mum!!

ahh he looks exactly the same colour. I think the features give away that the one I saw was wild - must be a genetic throwback!

Possibly. There are actually a few ginger buns on the hill near my house. I also overheard two dog walkers talking about there being black rabbits there too but I've never seen them. I think I'm probably more swayed towards them being part wild/part domestic though, otherwise surely every wildie colony would have funny coloured buns?! It's all a bit too scientific for me! :lol:

The ones near me seem to be thriving. :)

yeah I wondered that - There was a couple that colour though - if it was a pet it has got on very well with the locals and found himself a love interest!

Last year I spotted a black bunny amongst them, no sign of him today though :(

Apparently you can get black wildies. Near to us there is an army range and the two range wardens are very nice and we go and see them vey offten. They love their conservation and the ranges always have rabbits and they have black ones. apparently they are very rare and protected. They have a family of black one's and a family of agoutis.

Gorgeous pics, I love the first one prancing along :love:. There's a black wildie near us, it's usually seen by the Morrisons wagon petrol station :lol::lol:. It's quite near some open country and I wonder if it's a domestic that's integrated cos it's not too bothered about people.

There's a colony of black wildies in a forest in glos.
They have been there for donkeys years.

Perhaps these colour changes are genetic adaptation to changes in vegetation-ie if they live in cornfields a lot maybe some become lighter for camouflage and similarly maybe those who live deep in the forest near caves become darker?

Or it could be that a pet rabbit has escaped and mated and hence over the years the changes in colour? -sue:wave:

Back