• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any advice for giving injections?

Hi,
Seems I was a bit too ahead of myself getting happy with Mr Bingley Sir's recovery :(
We think he may have knocked his recovering wound as it began to weep again a few days ago. We tried him with oral Baytril to no avail so the OH took him to the vet today and we now have a weeks supply of injectable Baytril :shock:
The OH was shown how to do it by the vet but we've just come to do it at home and not doing very well. We have problems in raising the skin at the back of his neck, and then when we do we can't see of it going in properly cos of his fur :roll:
Now, we not squeamish about actually giving the injection coz we know it's for his own good but wondered if anyone has any good tips for administering it more easily? Any help appreciated :D

any advice for giving injections?

When my vet showed me how to do injections she told me to practice on an orange:lol:I did exactly that and it really did help:)

I was recommended practising on an orange and I found it didn't help.

Re the fur, best thing to do is shave the area...much easier :lol:

I find, shaving the area then using thumb and forefinger to 'tent' the skin is the easiest way....stab them right in the middle of the 'tented' area of skin

Make sure the bunny is comfortable. I usually give Grimlock lots of snuggles on the floor where he feels safest and then get someone else to carry on giving him snuggles. This causes him to relax so you can get to the stretchy scruff. Pull it up with you thumb and finger like you said and angle the needle slightly down. You should feel a 'pop' as it enters the skin.

I know that's not much help but I hope it's some. I mess up so many times so my best advice is stay calm and your bunny will stay calm. If you mess up don't worry you can always get some more injections, the amount of times I've had to... I've had them explode, gone through the skin and out the other side, just injected the fur and worst of all had a bunny running around the house with a needle in him. :(

It happens but keep persevering. Good luck.

Agree about tenting the skin, and trimming away surplus fur. But you need to angle the needle down a bit so it doesn't come out the other side. Toadstool barely reacts at all to his injections, and with depocillin it's only twice a week, so it may be worth asking about that? You have to be prepared to push quite firmly so the tip of the needle does go right in but it doesn't need to go very far in once it's broken through the skin, if that makes sense.

Do hope it goes well :wave:

Thanks for your replies and help :)
Just nipped on a break to check in.
Will try shaving the area and give it another go in the morning when I come off work.
X x

Just thought I'd update you before I go to bed.
We trimmed the fur and it was SO much easier! He didn't flinch whilst we wielded the trimmer either which I thought would be the worst part.
He was good as gold when we administered the injection too :D
Thank-you for all your advice - so much less stressful this time :):thumb:
Only another 13 more to do :shock::lol:

Just thought I'd update you before I go to bed.
We trimmed the fur and it was SO much easier! He didn't flinch whilst we wielded the trimmer either which I thought would be the worst part.
He was good as gold when we administered the injection too :D
Thank-you for all your advice - so much less stressful this time :):thumb:
Only another 13 more to do :shock::lol:

Really pleased it went so well. It's an extremely useful skill to have, and it really doesn't seem to be as big a deal to the buns as giving injections does to us... :lol:

Back