• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore vulva and weight loss *graphic pics*

Daisyd

Young Bun
My bunny Cassini recently had a reaction to the Cylap vaccine http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=230600 She has been healing well but went off her pellets and hasn't eaten any in about 3 weeks. I wasn't too worried as she still has a good appetite for hay and greens and has been pooing normally, altho she has started getting fussy about what greens she will take and now refuses broccoli, celery, carrots and apples, which she liked before.

I noticed last night that she seemed out of sorts and checked her over - she has a sore scab on the skin beside her vulva which must be making it very uncomfortable for her to wee. (the scab has fallen off since taking this pic last night, it is pink and raw and looks infected underneath)

cassie025.jpg

cassie023.jpg

I took her straight to the vets this morning and she has been prescribe anti-inflammatory pain relief (Loxicom) and Baytril - but the vet does not know what has caused the sore (could it be linked to VHD reaction??) or why she would be more fussy in her eating. Worryingly she has gone from 1000g to 880g in 2 weeks!

I'm really worried about her losing weight so I got some different foods for her today to try and tempt her to eat more pellets. There is Russell Rabbit (muesli bad I know...) Science Selective, Rabbit Excel, and Junior Rabbit Excel mixed with Beaphour Pellets (her original food). So far she hasn't touched any.

cassie034.jpg

Last week she was excited as she found some dried corn on the floor from my chipmunk’s corn on the cob treat - so I gave her one as I was worried about her not eating pellets and she polished it off. I have just read that they're really bad for bunnies, so really hope it hasn't made her worse... but her poo is ok so far so I really hope she's not blocked up by it. Here she is sat ignoring the bowls of food having a little wash...

cassie027.jpg

Here is a pic of her eating something she DOES like. She is still very food motivated but as far as I can tell only for grass, dandelions, spring greens, hay and raisins (altho only give 2 a day max.). Is there anything else I can do to help her?

cassie010.jpg

Front and back teeth were checked about 3 weeks ago when she had the VHD jab and they were fine. I don't know how quickly they can disfigure? - she is only 5 months old.

I did a search and read a post on here about syphilis early this morning and it said scabs are on the nose and mouth as well - otherwise I would have mentioned it to the vet... I am due to go back at the end of the week - if no improvement in the next day or 2 I will have to go sooner. Thank you Jack's-Jane.

Do you think I should go back to the vets ASAP and suggest Treponematosis? Last time I made a suggestion they wern't very impressed (altho it was a different vet to the one I saw today). Are her current meds likely to do any harm if they're wrong?

Thanks for the link - very informative.

Daisy

I did a search and read a post on here about syphilis early this morning and it said scabs are on the nose and mouth as well - otherwise I would have mentioned it to the vet... I am due to go back at the end of the week - if no improvement in the next day or 2 I will have to go sooner. Thank you Jack's-Jane.

My boys had syphilis, one on his genitals, and the other on his nose. Looks very much like when they had these scabs.

I took Cassie back to the vets first thing on Monday because I had been worried on Sunday she didn't poo for 6 hours, then only managed some small ones, plus to talk about possibility of Syphilis.

The vets was very sceptical about the syphilis but thinks the lack of appetite/strange poo may have been due to loxicom and baytril. She is now only on baytril and has some probiotics to help her guts out. Thankfully she has been pooing normally now since late Sunday evening... I think she was a bit annoyed I kept checking her litter tray every 5min!

They vet wants to give baytril a chance for 1 week in case it is just a UTI gone sore. Cassie recently had a bad reaction to VHD and small reaction to Myxi jabs so the vet is cautious about the Penicillin as apparently it is a bit dodge for bunnies and also they have a note on her records only to inject her with meds if they absolutely have to after her previous reactions. The vet decided if there is no change in her by Friday she will be tested for Syphilis, and treated accordingly.

I hope for her sake it is a UTI – I don't think the vets like me very much when I make suggestions and question their diagnosis... but I'm only thinking of my bunny - its not like they're infallible!

a stupid cmment mayb but its nt scent gland stuff that has gone hard on there is it and chnaged colour due to heat? x

Thanks for the suggestion bunlover - I don't think it's this as there is a scab that is now sealing over her vulva completely, I clean it gently with dillute hibbie scrub so she can pee and it bleeds a little bit. Plus her scent glands look clear and I think are normal.

Well it's been almost a month since my last post and I am still treating Cassini morning and night with Baytril and Bio-lapis and hibi-scrub washes. My last vets trip was 2 weeks ago and I am going again tonight.

The sores on the vulva are the same (or a little bit worse) than when it all started, but Cassie is eating/drinking/pooing and happy in herself. She had a couple of bits of scab on her nose last week but they were tiny and have cleared up again.

I'm really hoping the vets will actually treat her for the syphilis tonight... I don't think me or her can take much more of the intensive medication regime. She is a lovely bun and likes to be groomed and cuddled, but when she hears me mixing up the probiotics she runs and hides because it is obviously very distressing for her to be tranced and have the scabs on her vulva cleaned every night. I feel so horrible doing it, but I think the hibi-scrub is the only thing that has stopped the infection spreading. The nose scabs came when I took pity and let her off the washes for a couple of days.

She has gained weight from 800g to 1250g. Do you think she should be ok to have the penicillin now?? How long should I keep going to the same vets if he still wants to 'wait and see'?? Is it viable to wait and see forever?

Last edited:
I've had her since she was 8 weeks, at the start of April - I think she must have got it from her mother and it only showed up shortly after she had a reaction to the VHD jab. It'll teach me for getting a bunny from the garden centre. I just fell in love with her. Obv. I wouldn't swap her for the world now - but is typical of what happens when you don't rescue! :roll:

I agree with fluffers it reeeally sounds like syphillis. Im surprised the vet hasnt tested for this and treated it straight away instead of subjecting her to a month of futile treatment :roll:
Its great that shes put on weight though. I hope the penicillin injections work for her xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think my vet accepts it's syphilis. The thing is she had a minor reaction to her Myxi jab, a major reaction to her VHD jab, and then came down with the syphilis (altho syphilis wasn’t diagnosed initially). She was treated with Baytril and Loxicom for a UTI and she did not respond well to the Loxicom, and virtually stopped eating. she went from 1000g to 800g quite rapidly. She was then put on Bio-Lapis and Baytril which stabilised her and she started eating happily and also really perked up in herself. My vet was worried about giving her the Penicillin B injections, although he knows the Baytril won’t cure her, he was trying to improve her body condition and stabilise her guts. However the last time I went I asked if it's not looking any better in 2 weeks will we treat with the injections and he said no, he'll contact Edinburgh University for advice due to her history.

I was going along with all this but can't bear to see her suffering any more with pointless treatments. I can see why he's being cautious but I am going to push for Penicillin tonight.

I am new to this vet and altho he was highly recommended and seems knowledgeable I guess I just don't completely trust him yet.

Is she still not eating properly, and have her back teeth been checked? :wave:

Sorry if you've already said, but I had a read through the thread and couldn't find any mention.

Yes she is eating very well now. Back teeth were checked when she had the VHD jab about 2 months ago and were all fine. Don't know how long it takes for them to get problems but it was about 2 weeks after checkup she had eating probs and she's eating well again now after I started the Bio-lapis.

Back from vets. Faith nearly restored!

The vet has decided baytril is having no effect and told me to stop treatment. He's going to research options for syphilis in case there are any peniciliin alternatives. He is obviously very concerned about giving her an injection. He plans to treat her on monday, probs with jab if he can't find anything else that will work.

Back