• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help please U/D He didn't make it

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Sammy, one of my rabbits is wet around the mouth, mouth breathing and his breathing seems laboured. He also also making kind of grunting/wheezing noises. I have phoned the vet and am waiting on them to get back to me as they are apparently ALL out on calls at the moment. What can be causing this?

Last edited:
Sammy, one of my rabbits is wet around the mouth, mouth breathing and his breathing seems laboured. He also also making kind of grunting/wheezing noises. I have phoned the vet and am waiting on them to get back to me as they are apparently ALL out on calls at the moment. What can be causing this?

I'm only guessing but inhaled food maybe??

Can you find another vet, I'd class this as an emergency - good luck x

^ I agree

If breathing is laboured and becoming difficult that is an emergency, try and get the poor little mite in anywhere you can and as soon as you can. It might well be nothing too serious at all, but I wouldn't risk it personally.

What is the temp like up by you? It almost sounds as though he has got too hot (the dribbling could be an effect of mouth breathing/panting)

Feel him, is he hot, normal or cold?

Also, does he have any 'life' ... does he wriggle if you pick him up? Will he move? If he moves, whats it like? Is it wobbly? If he doesnt wriggle, is he 'floppy'??

Even if the vets are out could you get him to the surgery where a nurse at least could give him some oxygen on the vets instruction?

There are only a couple of vets on Orkney and they will be mainly large animal vets, I doubt there will be a vet nurse there at this time on a Saturday, they may not even have a vet nurse.

My first thought would be a respiratory infection too, I hope the vet isn't too long and can help him.

OMG I think he's dying. I took him to the vet who thought it is pneumonia. He got antibiotics (injection and liquid to give him at home), rehydration sachets and sachets of food. I took him home, let him calm down for a while then tried to give him some food and water. He went nuts, leaping out of my arms and hitting him head off the top of the cage over and over. It was like the food choked him! He's now lying down gasping in his cage and I can't do anything:cry::cry: What do I do?!?!?!?

OMG I think he's dying. I took him to the vet who thought it is pneumonia. He got antibiotics (injection and liquid to give him at home), rehydration sachets and sachets of food. I took him home, let him calm down for a while then tried to give him some food and water. He went nuts, leaping out of my arms and hitting him head off the top of the cage over and over. It was like the food choked him! He's now lying down gasping in his cage and I can't do anything:cry::cry: What do I do?!?!?!?

Take him to a different vets to get oxygen!!

There ARE no different vets. The first never phoned me back and the one I took him to was the only one who could see him straight away.

Jane no anti inflamms, just antibios. I've made it bloody worse haven't I!!! She did examine him and listened to his chest.:cry:

OK, leave him be and allow him to calm down.
Call the Vet back and INSIST that he has an anti-inflammatory BY INJECTION.

Does anyone local have Asthma ? If so do they have a portable nebuliser you could borrow ? Just nebulising sterile saline may help. But really it sounds as though he needs to be on 100% oxygen atm. No local neighbours with emphysema is there, they would have home oxygen.

Back