• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

worried about ralph in stasis again

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I just went down to put the buns to bed and as I was getting more hay out, Ralph stuck his tummy to the floor very suddenly and looked very uncomfortable. This is what he was doing when I had to rush him to the vets that time. He kept doing it -- acting completely normally, then suddenly putting his legs back and pushing his tummy to the floor.

I was all ready to take him to the emergency vets there and then but then he started nibbling his hay and ate quite a lot of it while i was there. Then I gave him a parsley treat and he ate that. I assumed it wasn't an emergency if he was still eating, so going to set my alarm for 4am and go to check on him.

I saw a string of 4 poos all stuck together with fur and I'm worried that came from him. If I'm finding those and seeing him press his tummy to the ground, how much of a worry is this?

bisc and matt both went through phases of this kind of thing. mainly bisc so i have what i need at home to treat him now. he always still eats but has gas and a dodgy tummy. i give infacol and maxolon and he is on metacam anyway. obv i did this with the vets advice.

it's difficult because they can go downhill quickly, or things can change quickly.

either take him to the vets to get him started straight away on treatment, or monitor him from now and if he gets worse at any point before your usual vets open, take him in.

it's tough when you aren't sure which to do. xx

i feel for you! i'm at the end of my tether here. esme did a few little poos last night and today, all i've had so far is a splodge of runny stuff.

only managed to get 2ml of recovery into her - well, when i say into her i mean over her face and me (major fighting this morning). she's lying down again now - flopped but not tummy pressing, more sleepy.

how is ralph this morning?

This morning he's still eating but looks unwell. He keeps half closing his eyes (I don't know what that means?)

My golden standard for whether or not he's back in stasis is whether he is eating hay, and he is still nibbling away, despite looking unwell. The vets are used to treating him for stasis (so far it's happened once a month since April) so if I bring him in before this then they won't see a justified reason.

I want to refer him on to Marie at Great Western but I worry that if he'snot symptomatic while he's there, they won't be able to tell what's wrong with him

Back