• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay (Part 2)

What hay do you use?

• Baled hay

Votes: 41 65.1%
  • Dust free hay

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Pet shop hay

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Treat hay (oat, timothy, etc)

Votes: 27 42.9%

• Total voters
I buy meadow hay (from a farm shop), excel hay, and oxbow timothy (online)- and like mix them 3 different types daily.

That was they have a choice .................an i rip a handful of long grass (usually seeding) for them too.........

Ticked 3 answers...........never bothered with dust free...... I just dont use the bottom of the bag when it starts to get dusty

mainly stalky from dustfreehay, but they also have the soft. recently got a farm bale and they like that aswell.. and every so often i buy them some green oat hay, oxbow timothy, or some of the sample packs. :)

I voted pet shop but I get it from Wilkos. No where else for me to get it and I can't buy online

Radish has Excel Herbage and Waffle eats Burns Welsh Meadow Hay with the occassional handful of green oat hay.

Neither bun likes the hay the other eats which makes life awkward. :roll:

I am trying to look for a cheaper alternative to satisfy them both but I was worried about investing in the dust free hay only for them to hate it. :?

Bales for me. :D

The place I buy from sells timothy and meadow bales - the buns prefer the timothy but I occasionally get the meadow hay for a change.

I had trouble getting a bale a couple of weeks ago and had to pay almost £5 for a 500g pack of hay - it nearly killed me as I only pay £5.50 for a huge bale (and the buns didn't like the expensive stuff either!!).

I voted bale hay as that's what I use the most of both for bedding and feeding, but I supplement with small amounts of "special" hay like oxbow.

Hannah :)

I've seen it mentioned once, maybe twice on here of baled hay causing mites. Is this a big problem in baled hay do you think?

I've seen it mentioned once, maybe twice on here of baled hay causing mites. Is this a big problem in baled hay do you think?

I've been using bales for about 18 mths with no mite problems *touches wood*. Plenty of people use baled hay on here, so you would expect to see far more mention of mites if it was a huge problem with the bales I think.

I picked baled hay as i tried dust free soft hay and they didn't touch it at all. It was just a waste- pretty, clean but not for my lot. They prefer farm baled hay. I have just got some timothy to try out on them, a small bag of pet shop hay, they did have pets at home hay and liked that okay , also tesco hay and asda bob martin hay.

I feel only Oxbow Timothy hay as their main feed, with smaller quantities of other hay (oat, botanical, orchard, etc). Costs me a fortune, £60 every 3 months for the timothy hay, but they do eat it all and the stalkyness of the timothy hay lowers Sora's spur-risk :wave:

I usually use baled hay. Sometimes get a little treat hay but they're not that fussed. Presently I have some Haydown Hay, its barn dried and plastic wrapped so no mess in the car! I bought it as I thought it was nicer than the dreg ends of last years hay on offer at the time and the buns have really enjoyed it and have huge golden poos :)

I give my three quite a mix of hays, Burn's green oat hay and redigrass are favourites, also I give timothy hay, orchard hay and alpine meadow hay. Get most of it from Hay Experts and some from pet shops. Murphy my lastest rescue bun wasn't eating hay when I first got him but is now doing well and eating the redigrass and oat hay, so I am really pleased, cos hopefully it will gradually sort out is sticky bottom problem!

I get my hay from the farm in bales.They eat and sleep in it.
BB has had mites once in the 2 yrs hes been with me.None of the otherr buns have had mites.
I also buy goodie nom nom hay for them at weekends....:roll:

I buy Dust Free Hay and different treat hays from the Hay Experts. I like to get things delivered and packed in smaller portions, as I don't have much space for storing it. The last baled hay I had was full of thistles. *ouch*

i use baled hay as we have tons of the stuff at my yard so i just take some from that when ever i need some. Also Florentine is very fussy about what hay she eats and it does seem to be the only one she s happy with without me spending a fortune

Back