• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
So what hay do you use?

I'm obsessing that the baled hay may be giving my buns mites and am considering Dust Free Hay but I thought I' do a poll.

Damn, I meant to add a poll. I can't edit it now. Boo.

ive just started buying the animal dreams bale of hay and i still get pure pasture meadow hay and the alfalfa kings oat wheat and barley hay :D

All mine have been weaned off Timothy Hay and Green Oat Hay, and now tuck into good quality farm bales:D

If you're worried about mites, may I suggest you use the timothy hay from The Willow Warren at West Wales Willows? I was on holiday in Pembrokeshire last week and I popped over to the farm to collect some hay from them (to save on postage). The chap who runs the smallholding was so friendly and took me on a tour of the farm.

He keeps all his bales of timothy in the dark with fans and dehumidifiers on it all all times to maintain the correct moisture levels. Before boxing it up, he places each bale into a large chest freezer for (I think) 24 hours - although it could have been longer - I can't remember :oops:. The freezing process kills any mites. It's then removed from the freezer and placed in a dry room for another couple of days before being boxed and shipped out.

Thank you West Wales Willows - I had a great time being shown around!

Back