• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recommended age for neutering

Bucks

Warren Scout
At what age do you normally get Bucks neutered? (not me the bunnies:))

When my wife took them to the vets a couple of weeks ago for there mixi jabs the vet said about 5.5 months, is this about right? they are now 16 weeks & spraying all over the place & Humbug is humping his brother as if there's no tomorrow, also only one testicle had dropped on Licorice, so the vet said if the other doesn't drop she would recommend not getting him neutered, as it would be a lot bigger operation.

Does all this info sound about right, any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Whenever both testicles have dropped. Zero used to have his hanging out at home and then suck one or both in at the vets :lol: took ages, think he was about 3 or 4 months old. Harvey was only 9 weeks old. He is a huge rabbit though (for a medium anyway, he isn't a giant rabbit), and his.. man parts.. were huge too :lol: the vet was quite impressed!

Some vets might prefer to wait until your rabbits have gotten a bit bigger, mine said it didn't really matter with Harvey as he was bigger as a baby than some full-grown Nethie Dwarves :)

Many vets will neuter males as soon as their testicles drop which is usually around the 16 week stage.

If you have 2 boys together you really need to enquire at other vets to find someone who will neuter at an earlier age as it is highly likely that you will need to have separated your boys by 5.5 months if they remain whole.

A rabbit who has an undescended testicle still can be neutered, it is a bigger operation than the normal procedure, however a vet may be able to 'tease' the testicle down in some cases rather than have to do a more invasive procedure. If you have 2 males together they both really need to be neutered as early as possible.

I would definately suggest trying to find a more rabbit savy vet in your area. Someone on here may be able to make some suggestions for you

THANKS for your replies,

We have spoken to the vet & made an appointment for Tuesday so she can check them again & weigh them.

By our experiences with the vet so far, I think they are very rabbit savvy & has the buns welfare at heart, in an ideal situation it is probably better for the rabbit to be a bit older before going through the opp isn't it ? rather than putting them through that ordeal at a very young age.

Last edited:
Hopefully we will be getting them both neutered some time this week, see what the vet says on Tuesday.
Once they have been done do we need to be keeping them separated for a while? (which will be a bit awkward for us) if they do need to be separated for for how long?

When I had my 2 boys neutered I didn't separate them. They went for the op together and when they came home I kept them in the front room together to recover. I didn't have any problems.

Hopefully we will be getting them both neutered some time this week, see what the vet says on Tuesday.
Once they have been done do we need to be keeping them separated for a while? (which will be a bit awkward for us) if they do need to be separated for for how long?

Definataly keep them together if at all possible, this will maintain their bond and also save them needing to be rebonded. Keeping them together also means that they will be less stressed as they can support each other.

THANKS for your replies,

We have spoken to the vet & made an appointment for Tuesday so she can check them again & weigh them.

By our experiences with the vet so far, I think they are very rabbit savvy & has the buns welfare at heart, in an ideal situation it is probably better for the rabbit to be a bit older before going through the opp isn't it ? rather than putting them through that ordeal at a very young age.

We have a very rabbit savvy vet and they always will neuter early as they dont have the fat deposits laid down which means that they get over the surgery quicker.

I would suggest neutering a pair of boys early as otherwise it is likely that they will have had a big falling out if they remain very hormonal and are neutered at an older age

You should be fine to keep them together to maintain the bond, just make sure you keep an eye on them so they don't open their own or each others' stitches

Hopefully they won't have stitches though. When Donnie got done he was 6months old, he was a solo bun at the time so we could wait. But he had no external stitches.
I would suggest getting them done as early as you can so the bond doesn't break.
Heartbreaking to see two best friends suddenly fighting and no longer able to be in each others company!

Hopefully they won't have stitches though. When Donnie got done he was 6months old, he was a solo bun at the time so we could wait. But he had no external stitches.
I would suggest getting them done as early as you can so the bond doesn't break.
Heartbreaking to see two best friends suddenly fighting and no longer able to be in each others company!

They are now booked in for Wednesday morning to be done as long as they weigh enough for the anesthetic, which I,m sure they will be as they have certainly grown since the vet saw them for there Mixi jab.
I know they are so loving towards each other, problem now is they also just want to hump each other as well, luckily no fighting yet, thats why we want them done asap.

Once we get the Bunnies back from the vets, less there crown jewels :( (fingers crossed or should that be legs crossed :D)
What is the best way to care for them?
do we just put them back in there hutch & keep an eye on them?
or do we have anything special we have to do or don't do?

I'm sure the vet will advise us, but I like to be prepared :D

Last edited:
Keep them inside as they may have trouble keeping their temperature up after the op :) and put them in quite a small pen for a couple of days to try and restrict exercise. I personally would ask for a cone so you can put it on in case they start nibbling, but I wouldn't ask them to put it on straight away, just take it home so you can use it if necessary :)

Thanks for all your advice, One other question how long should it be untill they have recoverd enough to move them to there new hutch which has ramps & tunnels as I dont want them injuring there wounds.

-20Jun10-008.jpg

Last edited:
The little lads have just returned from the vets, minus there crown jewels :(

We have decided to set up there old hutch in the dining room for a couple of days, that will give us time to fit there new hutch into place & add the finishing touches etc, also keep the b*** flies of them.

Edit: Do you recon they should be OK in a couple of days to be running up & down the ramp/tunnels?

Today the bunnies seemed to be there normal selves apart from being couped up in a small hutch with no run, so at about 4pm we decided to put them in there new hutch, everything was OK at first with them having a good explore of there new home, after a couple of hours Humbug started chasing Licorice about a lot & even attacked him a few times, so we have now put them back in there small hutch which is set up in the dining room at the moment & they seem to be fine again, both huddled up together.

So our big question is what do we do with them now, how & when do we transfer them to there new hutch, Hope someone with a lot more experience can help us.

Last edited:
Glad they're over the worst of the op. I would think the boys are just trying to establish whose boss of their new environment. As long as the bickering doesn't get really aggressive and is just a bit bullying they should settle down. Rabbits have to establish a 'pecking order' and clumps of fur can fly at this time. The problems come when they start trying to take chunks out of each other. I would put them back in their new hutch with lots of food distractions such as dandelions, grasses, apple tree branches or fresh vegs. Something a bit tempting! and see how they go. Try not to keep interfering unless it gets really aggressive as the order does have to be sorted at some time. Good luck and I hope they settle soon.

Back