• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think my male bunnys may have bonded through the bars, is this possible?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I have two bunnies next to each other with bars in between in one of my sheds. They can't get to each other and are happy in their own environment, despite being close to each other.

I put them both in a carrier together to go to the vets yesterday and they were absolutely fine with each other. They are not neutered yet so i wont be bonding them properly, but could this be the start of a friendship without any bars between them once the neutering has been done?

As they are both on medications and now have suspected pasteurella, I'm not sure how likely this is as i'm not sure when i will be able to neuter :( Can this be done when this condition is present. I know i certainly wouldn't put my female who has confirmed pasturella through this as she has difficulty breathing too.

Anyways, back to bonding... As they just snuggled up in the taxi, no aggression. They are brothers so perhaps this i why they were so amicable with each other.

I don't think snuggling in the carrier is a sure sign that they have bonded or will bond easily. Even rabbits that hate each other will sit quietly together in a new enviroment because they are scared. They will snuggle out of stress and anxiety.

However, if they are next to each, separated by mesh, and seem to get on okay, I think that's a good sign. Do they lie near each other or try to groom through the wire? You could swap them over to mix up the scents which will help when you fully bond them.

When our two males fought and had to be separated, we couldn't even put them in the run separated by wire. They would spend all their time trying to bite through the mesh and get to the other one. They were litter mates, but the bond broke down.

I would definitely wait until neutering to bond - ours got super aggressive as the hormones started and had to be split up. They went back together ok though.

Thanks yes, they seem perfectly fine together . They are not directly nose to nose. They have double spacing, so they can't fight. I had a girl nip one of my other girls on the nose when i put them out directly next to each other so i'm very careful now. They can't reach to groom so that was the first time they have been together directly. I will neuter them and try them together. I have one operation coming up this week for another one of my bunnies. They will definately be done some time this year though.

Back