• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I was dreading telling my mum that Elijah is staying...

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Silly isn't it when you are 40 something and financially independant ? :lol::lol:

She has disapproved of every bunny that I have got since the first two. I think 'normal' people get one pet or perhaps two for companionship but any beyond that is seen as excessive. When I first introduced Artie to her she was horrified. When I lost Bungee bun and said I was getting a baby bunny (Esme) she was disapproving. When I lost Scrat and said I was visiting Bunny Camp Sanctuary she said in alarmed tone "You're not getting another are you?" :shock:(Rudy). I'd maintained a maxium of 3 at that point, not excessive by most people's standards :? Anyhow... I had Tink on reserve for 4 weeks before I dared tell her then I said I was going to West Midlands for a bunny ... I just got a huff and no words when I told her :?

Funny, because she loves each and every one of them dearly and treats them like grandchildren. She used to buy them treats but now as she doesn't leave the home (except to visit her 'grandchildren') she gives me money to buy them treats :love::love: She comes round to see them most days and loves fussing them. The disapproval is purely because she worries I'm taking too much on and the emotional/ financial toll will be too much.

So when River was here she got really fond of her - often going to see her and taking her blades of grass etc and often says she was sad to see her go and what a lovely bunster she is. :love: I've said since many times how rewarding fostering was and how I'd do it again very happily.

So, I kind of gave the impression that Elijah belonged to a rescue, I was after all going to rehome him and it was easier that way, so as not to stress her (she is 82). I never lied I just didn't admit that I owned him. I thought if my mum really fell for him (you can't not do) then she would be relieved when I eventually said he was staying ... Today was that day :p She said, "Is that one out there (won't use name as she doesn't like it!) up for adoption?". I said, "Urm... I think he might be staying". She didn't disapprove - I think she's pleased he's not going. :D:D

So.... how long do I leave it before I announce I'm looking for a wife for him ?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Actually, it could be a while as I can't find any minilop does ... not many small young does at all for that matter :(

Last edited:
That's lovely, you'll have to do the same with his wifey bun :) Exactly the same situation when I announced I was going to start fostering my dad gave me a lecture. When I bought my first foster bun home, he went out straightaway and had a cuddle.:roll: I think he's the one getting attached :lol:

Last edited:
i wish that would work on my parents!
But im not even allowed to foster because i get too attached :oops:

Goodluck with finding him a wifey! :wave:

It is mad isn't it.

I still act very vague when people ask me "how many rabbits have you got now" by fobbing some off as fosters and pretending they're not permanent.

An ex-friend once told me "you can't possibly have any more animals" with a sneer on her face - who the bloody hell did she think she was? Did she know my financial position? Did she know what time commitments I had?
I couldn't believe at 40yrs + I was being spoken to like a 5 year old!

Glad to know it's not just me that gets that reaction! :oops::lol:

I get exactly the same thing off my dad who's in his 70's - he doesn't know we have 25 at this point & that they are all permanent :oops: He thinks several are ermmmm........................long term fosters :oops:

That said he's the same buying treats or insisting on giving me some money each week for veg :love: He even picks them dandelions & grass when he goes out walking :love:

Not bad to say he doesn't really agree with us having so many ;)

I don't tell the rest of my family now or even many of my friends, because they just think I'm crackers - but hey ho doesn't do for us all to be the same & it's naff all to do with them! :roll:

My parents moan about the animals (two cats, four rabbits) and say my garden looks like a zoo :roll:... they dont even like the animals... they wouldnt be able to tell you the names of any of them (had cats 6 years, bunnies from four years).

They just see them as a problem/inconvenience/financial toll.

Erm, just bring his wife home and don't tell her...... she might never notice. :lol::lol::lol:

Is he still thumping? Maybe you could sell the idea to your mum as just being an attempt to keep him quiet. :lol:

Good to know there's other people out there that experience it/understand it. I don't get why other people have to impose their beliefs on you - what makes them right and you wrong?

It is mad isn't it.

I still act very vague when people ask me "how many rabbits have you got now" by fobbing some off as fosters and pretending they're not permanent.

An ex-friend once told me "you can't possibly have any more animals" with a sneer on her face - who the bloody hell did she think she was? Did she know my financial position? Did she know what time commitments I had?
I couldn't believe at 40yrs + I was being spoken to like a 5 year old!

I get all that off my brother all the time - all the sneering, sniggering and mocking :roll: When he saw me building a hutch recently he kept asking if I was "kicking them out... getting back to having a normal living room." :evil: I've never aspired to 'normal' and I'm not going to start now :lol::lol: Who would a 'normal' living room be to impress anyway?

I don't tell the rest of my family now or even many of my friends, because they just think I'm crackers - but hey ho doesn't do for us all to be the same & it's naff all to do with them! :roll:

I know, that's how I feel too. If the bunnies make me happy and I (hopefully) make them happy, what is it to anyone else ?

Erm, just bring his wife home and don't tell her...... she might never notice. :lol::lol::lol:

Is he still thumping? Maybe you could sell the idea to your mum as just being an attempt to keep him quiet. :lol:

He's still thumping :roll: I wouldn't particularly have to sell that idea to her, I *think* she will get that he can't live alone. Although I'll bet any money that she says, "He seems happy enough to me". But us bunny people know better ;)

Back