• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dolly - Possible cylap rection?...u/d post# 21 & 23 - back from the vets with baytril

Dolly - Possible cylap rection?...u/d post# 21 & 23 - back from the vets with baytril

Hi everyone, im in a bit of a panic at the moment.

Dolly came over for a cuddle this afternoon and i noticed a patch between her shoulders was bald and appeared to be covered in blood. It wasn't like that this morning and I wondered if Marley had done something to her, but this is not like him and i had been in the garden for the majority of the day.

On closer inspection, it feels a little scaly in areas but the skin doesnt appear to be broken. She had her first VHD vac yesterday, i was worried about the use of cylap but typical me forgot to ask the vet about using a different type.

Now i've noticed this patch, i feel so guilty. Heres a picture, what do you think? Mum is taking a bun to the vet tomorrow so i will get her to take Dolly along too but in the meantime is there anything i should do/watch out for? Here's a picture, its not great, but its the clearest one i could get...

possiblecylapreaction-Dolly.jpg

Last edited:
I am 99% certain its a vaccine reaction.

She needs to be on Metacam for a few days to try to reduce the inflammatory response.

I am 99% certain its a vaccine reaction.

She needs to be on Metacam for a few days to try to reduce the inflammatory response.

Oh my god, i feel so guilty :(

i dont have any metacam at the moment, is there anything else i can do untill i can get her to the vets tomorrow morning?

She doesnt seem to be in pain and is charging around as usual, although the sight its slightly raised. :(

There is nothing else you can give her. I'd contact the Vet first thing tomorrow.
Just make sure she doesn't start biting at it as it can spread widely in susceptible Rabbits.

awwww hope it clears up soon, Pearl got small scabs like that once and i didnt even notice :oops::oops: ste spotted them about a week after the jab so she was already healing by the time she was seen by the vet about it :oops::oops:

she was fine and they didnt get worse, just two little scabs

dont feel bad, it never bothered pearl in the slightest :wave::wave:

ewww he likes the taste of blood :shock::shock:

i think once alvin got scabs from a weekend of injections and pearl licked the savlon cream off :roll::roll:

i think if shes still eating and not looking too bothered itll be ok till you can get the vets to check it out, i think they give something to stop the swelling and stuff if its bad.

everything crossed it doesnt bother her and develop into more scabs xxxx

ewww he likes the taste of blood :shock::shock:

i think once alvin got scabs from a weekend of injections and pearl licked the savlon cream off :roll::roll:

i think if shes still eating and not looking too bothered itll be ok till you can get the vets to check it out, i think they give something to stop the swelling and stuff if its bad.

everything crossed it doesnt bother her and develop into more scabs xxxx

:lol: the skin isnt broken around it, hes just licking the area. But thats where he grooms her anyway hehe. Im glad its not bothering her though, i just hope its not going to look worse in the morning :(

How is it going?
As an owner of a young English Spot who is just recovering from a very severe reaction - like yours but as big as the palm of your hand - I can sympathise.
If bun goes for it, it will probably get bigger. If it does, she may need antibiotiocs and she really should have metacam to make her feel better and to dampen down the inflammation.

But my little bun is proof she should survive it.

quick update

Hey guys, thanks very much for your concern. I still cant help feeling guilty about it though but i feel better because it doesnt seem to be bothering her in the slightest.

I checked her over this morning it hadn't got any bigger, its dried up a little bit and the swelling seems to have gone down. It just feels like a scab now.

Im so glad! i was worried id get up in the morning and find that the patch was twice as bad and that shed be feeling really sorry for herself. She was up at the side of the hutch waiting for her breakfast as usual and woofed the lot. Shes been binkying around the garden and seems to love her new tunnel i bought today.

I have to admit though, she didn't go to the vet :oops: but i did have a friend who is a vetinary nurse take a look. She said it looks like a bruise :? and gave me a couple of days supply of metacam to help with the swelling.

Im going to keep a close eye on it, any worries and shes going straight to the vet. I really dont think its a bruise, why would her hair fall out? Its not bothering her either.

Fingers crossed shell continue to be her same old self.

when it happened to pearl the vet said the scabbing is quite a common side effect, its the oil the stuff itself is stored in that causes the reaction... deffo not a bruise tho :? glad its got no worse :D:D:D:D

when it happened to pearl the vet said the scabbing is quite a common side effect, its the oil the stuff itself is stored in that causes the reaction... deffo not a bruise tho :? glad its got no worse :D:D:D:D

Thanks donnamt.

i couldnt believe she even suggested it was a bruise, it doesnt even feel like a bruise would. im going to try and find out the name of the other VHD vaccine and ask my vet to use that one.

My other bun didnt have a reaction, i wonder if its possible to still have one? humans can become allergic to things whenever, they can also become immune to the allergen too. I dont think ill risk it happening again though. poor bun, i hope it grows back, ive heard it sometimes stays bald :?

Thanks donnamt.

i couldnt believe she even suggested it was a bruise, it doesnt even feel like a bruise would. im going to try and find out the name of the other VHD vaccine and ask my vet to use that one.

My other bun didnt have a reaction, i wonder if its possible to still have one? humans can become allergic to things whenever, they can also become immune to the allergen too. I dont think ill risk it happening again though. poor bun, i hope it grows back, ive heard it sometimes stays bald :?

The other VHD Vaccine is called LAPINJECT and its made by CEVA

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/CEVA_Animal_Health_Ltd/Lapinject_VHD/-42505.html

Whilst Lapinject is also in an oil based substance I have not had one Rabbit have a bad local reaction to it at all. Infact so far none of my Rabbits have had any side effects from Lapinject.

When giving the vaccine the risk of causing a reaction at the site of inoculation can be reduced by using a new needle to give the vaccine from the needle used to draw it up from the bottle. Make sure the vaccine is administered fully subcutaneously, none into the dermis. Then massage the injection site for a few minutes to disperse the vaccine.

how is her scab today?

Holly had the lapinjet one on wednesday, no skin reaction but she seems so quiet :( no happy flops since either :(

what an awful vaccine, i cant imagine the awful death unvaccinated bunnies must suffer from the actual disease :cry::cry::cry:

how is her scab today?

Holly had the lapinjet one on wednesday, no skin reaction but she seems so quiet :( no happy flops since either :(

what an awful vaccine, i cant imagine the awful death unvaccinated bunnies must suffer from the actual disease :cry::cry::cry:

Im off to clean the buns out now. Im a terrible mummy for not remembering to check when i fed them this morning but i got some really bad news last night and was in a rush to get up to the horses. She was still happy in herself though.

They have a 6ft cage to themselves, so why do they pile on top of eachother when theyre waiting for nom noms? :roll: :lol:

Ill report back later on :) :wave:

Im off to clean the buns out now. Im a terrible mummy for not remembering to check when i fed them this morning but i got some really bad news last night and was in a rush to get up to the horses. She was still happy in herself though.

They have a 6ft cage to themselves, so why do they pile on top of eachother when theyre waiting for nom noms? :roll: :lol:

Ill report back later on :) :wave:

well atleast you spotted it in the first place, it was Ste who spotted Pearls.. how bad is that :oops::oops: sounds like shes ok though :D:D:D:D

sorry about your bad news :(

Sounds like your bun has got away with a minor reaction. Fingers crossed.

Some rabbits are defitnitelty more susceptible than others - and it may just be coincidence but it appears that English Spots are particularly vulnerable. Might be a genetic factor, I don't know, but I do know I would never give a bun of mine Cylap again.
After what we've been through that really would be rank stupidity.

Sounds like your bun has got away with a minor reaction. Fingers crossed.

Some rabbits are defitnitelty more susceptible than others - and it may just be coincidence but it appears that English Spots are particularly vulnerable. Might be a genetic factor, I don't know, but I do know I would never give a bun of mine Cylap again.
After what we've been through that really would be rank stupidity.

Yeah im so glad shes ok, i know how serious it can get which is why i felt so guilty. She ran away from home today because im such a terrible mummy ;) ... found her under the neighbours trampoline munching dandelions. :roll: just left her there for an hour or so because theres nowhere else she can get out, came back to check on her and she was flopped out with my neighbours daughter!! :lol: ... typical Dolly, shes spoiled rotten. :love: my princess.

Theres no way any of mine are having cylap again, even if they have had it before.

Back