• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

red area above tail with dandruff??

hi, Isabella has a red area above tail on her back which i noticed when brushing her. there are lots of dandruff even though the rest of her coat is lovely and shiny any suggestions what best to do??

hi, Isabella has a red area above tail on her back which i noticed when brushing her. there are lots of dandruff even though the rest of her coat is lovely and shiny any suggestions what best to do??

It sounds like it could be flystrike, are you sure the white marks you are describing are not fly eggs?

Thankfully ive never experienced flystrike with my buns but its always a constant worry, especially in summer. If it was my bun i would go to the vet.

hope this helps :) x

have found a bump on back of her neck which when part fur is red and raised it's just a tiny bit. how do i treat if mites?? how she catch them?? Do they transfer to humans??:oops:

if its mites you can giver her xeno 450 spot on. You can buy it from your vets or online.

But seeing as you are unsure wether it is mites or not i would take her to the vet and see what they think:)

Cheers, just been reading about mites. Isabella has twice recently been to vet as dirty bottom, she also was just in for myxi and vhd booster so been seen regularly at vet. Could they have missed it?? Can't see anything moving just lots of dandruff and the little red area on back of neck. Now panicking that i have them and other bunnies!!!:oops:

I would let the vet check her out and confirm if it mites or not if it is there is a course of treatment for it. I thought Pip had mites but it was actually a reaction to his myxi jab, he only had it around his neck area and it came up within a few days of his jab. This prob not likely with Isabella as she has on other areas.

As far as I am aware humans cant catch it and I believe (and please someone correct me if I am wrong) that lots of rabbits can have mites but not all react to them!

AFAIK, and I'm not an expert on this, this is just what I've been researching for my own benefit. Humans can get bitten by them but they can't live on humans so they go away after a few weeks. I have a few itchy red bumps which I think might be from mites which I suspect Mischa might have and possibly Mini too.

Back