• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny poops

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
Blackberry has done a couple of runny-ish poops today. Not watery, thick, brown runny. I think it may be that he had some banana, but he ate Buttercups share as well. He's bright enough in himself, and I've seen him eating, tho he left his carrot. Have also seen him eats his special poops.

Is there anything I need to do for him? Or I do I just keep checking that things a re going back to normal?

They sound like malformed caecotrophs - acute dysbiosis of the caecum. Usually caused by sudden stress or sudden spring grass or too much sugar in some other form. I would definitely cut out the banana and carrots long-term as both are far too sugary to be given daily, and for the next few days just hay only if it were my bun :):wave: (If you feel he won't eat just hay then give a few pellets too)

They sound like malformed caecotrophs - acute dysbiosis of the caecum. Usually caused by sudden stress or sudden spring grass or too much sugar in some other form. I would definitely cut out the banana and carrots long-term as both are far too sugary to be given daily, and for the next few days just hay only if it were my bun :):wave: (If you feel he won't eat just hay then give a few pellets too)

The banana was a treat - once a fortnight only, one small slice each, but I think he pinched Butters, cos Butter doesn't bother with it :roll:

They also only have an inch max. of small carrot each at their morning treat (and I don't buy any 'treats' for them, that's their limit for treats, cos they have such delicate tummies.

Will tell him not to be such a piggy in future! :wave:

The banana was a treat - once a fortnight only, one small slice each, but I think he pinched Butters, cos Butter doesn't bother with it :roll:

They also only have an inch max. of small carrot each at their morning treat (and I don't buy any 'treats' for them, that's their limit for treats, cos they have such delicate tummies.

Will tell him not to be such a piggy in future! :wave:

Oh I see, sorry :oops: I made assumptions from the banana and carrot :oops: However, I would cut out the carrot every morning anyway, make the treat something really safe like a sprig of basil or thyme or something like that. :D

If you have any fibreplex or probiotics you could always give him some for a couple of days, that usually helps :)

Thanks!

I don't suppose him eating a whole pot of greek basil helped either :?

The Little Boys don't usually eat the pot full in one go - I can put a pot in and it lasts a week, but they polished off the one I put in the other day overnight :roll:

Back