• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sure whether to get new accommodation - thoughts please?

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
At the moment Twinkle and Sparkle have a 7 x 4 run with a double storey 4ft hutch on top - overall sq meters are 40 sq m.

They use the 7 x 4 run 95% of the time I would say and use the bottom layer of the hutch 4% of the time and the top level of the hutch 1%.

I can see that they like to be on the ground so the different levels are not being used.

I was thinking of getting a 4 x 4 playhouse (cant go any bigger than this as tiny garden) and then attaching about 5 x 4 run. This would mean they would have slightly less sq meters but they would use it better. I could also put another level in the playhouse to up the total floorspace (probably 4 x 2 second level).

I am also thinking of winter and the fact Twinkle has been ill... if it is a bad winter.. they need to have a nice warm indoor area, but so far they have never used the hutch bit even through the long cold winter we have just had... so thoughts please? Is it fair on them to keep the current accommodation when they only feel happy in the run section?

A play house with run sounds a lovely idea, and if they prefer being on one level then you're right, they probably will use more of the floor space :)

But by going down the playhouse route they will have less outside space than before, but more inside space.... and with a shelf more overall space.

Does it matter if they have less outside space? They do get out on the grass supervised in good weather.

I guess the size of the outside space will be important if they still choose not to sit in a playhouse but even then, it's not a huge size difference from before. Can you get quite a tall run so you can put a few levels in it? I know you say they don't like the levels in the hutch but perhaps it's just that they like to be outside and they would use levels in the run. (If that makes any sense at all!).

I'd say go for it! I love my playhouse and I'm sure the bunnies do too. :)

I'll be getting a shed later in the year - I can't wait!

In the meantime the boys takes turns using the run on the lawn to get on the grass. It's got shelves in it to give more interest, so although it's not as big as I'd like they get a lot of exercise in there.

bunniesmarch2010018.jpg

If they don'y use the top level of the hutch it's wasted space, at least if you have a playhouse they have more shelter for wet/cold weather if they want it, and you can have a shelf in it for storing bunny bits too, which is handy.

I'd keep as much outside space as you can.
A lot of people stress the importance of rabbits needing a sheltered area but it seems to me a lot of rabbits don't actually like a sheltered area - they're very resilient to the cold and as long as they have shade in the summer that's what's important.

There's a lot of criticism of the hutch I use on here because there wasn't enough of a sheltered area - so I covered up the sides of part of their run and all they did was change their favourite spot to somewhere uncovered and stop using the sheltered area. I've since taken off the coverings and they've gone back to their old favourite spot.
I'm putting them in a shed/run combo when I move for my own convenience and I have no doubts the shed will go largely unused. :roll:

I could be wrong but it seems to me they probably don't use the hutch very much because it's enclosed, not because it's not at ground level.

I'd keep as much outside space as you can.
A lot of people stress the importance of rabbits needing a sheltered area but it seems to me a lot of rabbits don't actually like a sheltered area - they're very resilient to the cold and as long as they have shade in the summer that's what's important.

There's a lot of criticism of the hutch I use on here because there wasn't enough of a sheltered area - so I covered up the sides of part of their run and all they did was change their favourite spot to somewhere uncovered and stop using the sheltered area. I've since taken off the coverings and they've gone back to their old favourite spot.
I'm putting them in a shed/run combo when I move for my own convenience and I have no doubts the shed will go largely unused. :roll:

I could be wrong but it seems to me they probably don't use the hutch very much because it's enclosed, not because it's not at ground level.

I guess it very much depends on what your buns like. Mine have their hutches inside an aviary, and they love being in the hutches, and like all the cosy corners, and sitting on top of bedrooms etc, whereas some buns like being more open.:)

I guess it very much depends on what your buns like. Mine have their hutches inside an aviary, and they love being in the hutches, and like all the cosy corners, and sitting on top of bedrooms etc, whereas some buns like being more open.:)

exactly :) different habits for different rabbits and all that.

It does depend on your buns.... but I had the option of either having a 6x4 shed with a 6x6 run or having a 4x4 shed with a 9x6 run and I've gone for the latter because so many people told me their buns' didn't use the inside space that much..... mine are young, bouncy rabbits and I feel they're more likely to spend the majority of their time in the run so this is what I've gone for.

It does mean they'll get more square footage this way too which I was also conscious of. :) xx

ETA: I decided to go for a full height shed instead of a playhouse too 'cos I bumped my head a fair few times just checking them out and I decided it would drive me nutty lol. In the end; the shed was cheaper too! :p

ETA: I decided to go for a full height shed instead of a playhouse too 'cos I bumped my head a fair few times just checking them out and I decided it would drive me nutty lol. In the end; the shed was cheaper too! :p
I'd also suggest going for a full height shed. will make cleaning out so much easier.

I'd also suggest going for a full height shed. will make cleaning out so much easier.

I am only 5ft2! Height is not so much of an issue....

I just dont know whether my bunnies stay in the run cos they like it or cos they hate the hutch being up so high and on different levels :?

I am only 5ft2! Height is not so much of an issue....

I just dont know whether my bunnies stay in the run cos they like it or cos they hate the hutch being up so high and on different levels :?

I'm 4'11 and I find it a bit of a pain getting in and out of playhouses - they are super cute though :love:

good point, is there any way you could arrange it so that the hutch is at floor level or so that they have an enclosed area they could choose to go in to? That way you'd find out what it is that they don't like.

is there any way you could arrange it so that the hutch is at floor level or so that they have an enclosed area they could choose to go in to? That way you'd find out what it is that they don't like.

This is what I was wondering..... if you could use your existing accommodation in a similar set-up to the one you're planning so you know what they like!

I'm 4'11 and I find it a bit of a pain getting in and out of playhouses - they are super cute though :love:

good point, is there any way you could arrange it so that the hutch is at floor level or so that they have an enclosed area they could choose to go in to? That way you'd find out what it is that they don't like.

Hmm it is a double storey hutch but I might be able to take it off the top of the run and put it on the ground.... have to have a bit of a think...

I opted to convert my existing shed instead of a playhouse, cos I am hoping that in the winter I will be able to go sit in the shed with them so I will stay a little bit warmer and make cleaning out etc more enjoyable.

I have also literally just come off the phone to Happy Hutch to ask for the run extension I have ordered to be made slightly bigger because I have a feeling that they are going to prefer to being outside and not in the shed and also I needed it a bit bigger cos the run extension will be all Pip will have access to whilst I am bonding him with Fizz so I felt he would need a bit more space that what I had orginally ordered.

I opted to convert my existing shed instead of a playhouse, cos I am hoping that in the winter I will be able to go sit in the shed with them so I will stay a little bit warmer and make cleaning out etc more enjoyable.

I have also literally just come off the phone to Happy Hutch to ask for the run extension I have ordered to be made slightly bigger because I have a feeling that they are going to prefer to being outside and not in the shed and also I needed it a bit bigger cos the run extension will be all Pip will have access to whilst I am bonding him with Fizz so I felt he would need a bit more space that what I had orginally ordered.

Yes I think run space is more important... as long as they have somewhere they can go to keep out of the wind/rain/cold if they want... I will have to talk with my friend who has done my previous bunny projects and ask if it is feasible to rearrange what I have got already to give them some ground floor shelter.

See - its so worth asking everyone's opinions - otherwise it would of been an expensive mistake. :D

Back