• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

impaction? what treatment? u/d home

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
I've been up most of the night with es, trying to get her to eat. Not much luck. A couple of nibbles here and there but that's it. The vet yesterday said she thought she could feel a small impaction low down.

No poop overnight but just as I'm mixing up some recovery, she's sat in her tray for ages and left me a splodge! Very runny but not as watery as yesterday.

We have vet's at 8 50 but what should I be doing to get her moving? She had gut stimulant yesterday plus fluids and pain relief.

Last edited:
Lots more fluids, up to 200ml/kg/24hrs SQ/PO

Ranitidine (Zantac) twice a day
Metoclopromide every 8 hours
Metacam up to 0.6mg/kg/24hrs

Exercise

Soz for rushed reply, sending vibes xx

No helpful advice but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear Esme is still poorly. :(:( Makes me feel so lucky that Bubbles bounced back straight away after yesterday. Sending lots of vibes. xxx

Metacloperamide is a gut stimulant :D I would imagine they'll give her some more today. I agree with Jane, looooads more fluids. While shes at home provide a heat pad or hot water bottle wrapped in a towel for her to lie on if she wants to as it will help soothe her tum.
Its good news she left you a splodge hun :love: I know you must be soooo worried though. Sending loads of vibes,
Let us know how the vet goes xxxxxxxx

We had two buns with this on Wed vef gave gut simulant and lactulose, went back this morning, one totally cleared the other almost, recommended keeping up the lactulose and using weekly through their moults.

THanks Jane. Syringe feed too? She really struggles

If you can yes. As Jane says provided they've ruled out a total obstruction then you need food in behind to push what's in there along otherwise the metclopramide will be working on an empty stomach and gut. If you can manage to get oral fluids in too this will help. Sub-cut and oral fluids together if you can do so safely (just use a 1ml syringe and do 1/3 syringe depress with fluids at a time - take it steadily) are better, you need to get as much fluid in as possible from all angles to rehydrate the ingesta. Make sure you give her a couple of hours rest in between feed/fluid and med sessions so she can chill out and get over the stress, and you too!
Keep tempting her, fresh strong herbs... grass, dandelions, get them wet and wave them in her face to see if she snatches them in frustration. But again, give her a break for an hour or two as well inbetween.

Keep her warm as well if you can, little buns lose heat very quickly when the guts aren't working. xx

thank you for the advice - it really is invaluable.

well, esme has spent the day at the vets - more gut stimulant, sub cut fluids and recovery food. the poor nurse was plastered in recovery and she and the vet commented on how feisty essie is - if she thinks no, she means no! vet said she had voluntarily nibble a bit of grass, dandelion and hay - but she did that at home, just not very much:? she also said she's pooped a bit but they were soft with more normal poo mixed in (sorry if you're eating!).

we've been home since 7 and she's had the bally bits from half a floret of broccoli almost staight away so i was really hopeful. no poos tho and not a nibble since:( i've just manage to get 2ml of recovery into her and now she's finished cleaning her face and paws, she's flopped.

whilst doing the recovery, i knelt in a poo:shock: it seemed quite fresh but very small and strung together:roll: she has been moulting for a while and has been cleaning frantically from being handled so much.

should i go get some pineapple juice? try syringing that instead of water? if so, any idea if they may sell the stuff i need at a small sainsburys rather than the cordial type ones?

We had two buns with this on Wed vef gave gut simulant and lactulose, went back this morning, one totally cleared the other almost, recommended keeping up the lactulose and using weekly through their moults.

was that the stuff we can have too? i asked whether the metaclop acted a bit like lactulose and the vet gave me a rather strange look:oops:

i honestly wouldnt bother with pineapple. parsley is always a winner for alvin, cucumber keeps the fliuds going in and i know most sat no but carrot is always worth a nibble

does sound like her guts are starting again with all the drugs and fluids, may take a few more days of treatment but im sure she will be fine soon xxxxxx

Peppermint tea is good, when my vet rang and I told him I was giving it to Jasmine he said it should help get things moving :wave:

i honestly wouldnt bother with pineapple. parsley is always a winner for alvin, cucumber keeps the fliuds going in and i know most sat no but carrot is always worth a nibble

does sound like her guts are starting again with all the drugs and fluids, may take a few more days of treatment but im sure she will be fine soon xxxxxx

I agree with Donna on all points.

With Waffle I just tried to tempt her with herbs and things I knew she would like to get her eating. If she has done some poops that's great.

Waffle took a few days of treatment to start the full movement going.

thanks mate. she's never been fussed on cucumber so i doubt she'd eat it now. i'll go get some dandelions and stuff - the nasturtium leaf went down a treat at 4am:)

i am so tired i could throw up.

I agree with Donna on all points.

With Waffle I just tried to tempt her with herbs and things I knew she would like to get her eating. If she has done some poops that's great.

Waffle took a few days of treatment to start the full movement going.

how long was waffle off her food and without poo? (i was on your thread but haven't trawled back to find it, sorry).

thanks mate. she's never been fussed on cucumber so i doubt she'd eat it now. i'll go get some dandelions and stuff - the nasturtium leaf went down a treat at 4am:)

i am so tired i could throw up.

you can sleep in a few days honestly :wave::wave:

yes dandelion :D if you can find brambles too, as Judy is always saying these bunnies know what they need to sort themselves out.. its us that dont know sadly... i bet she gobbles bramble leaves because shell be craving fibre to fix her poorly tummy and with the pain killer it wont hurt to eat :love::love:

alvin was a bunny possessed when i first gave brambles :shock:

Back