• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you do?

leong

Warren Scout
I received a text from my partner this morning (who walks to work) telling me that a wild bun had been clipped by a car on the road at the bottom of our driveway and that it was still alive. I went down to have a look and it was clear it was in a bad way, picked he/she up and and it was obvious that the back end of the bun was pretty much obliterated and that the spine was broken.
At the time, thoughts were racing through my head as to whether I should take it to the vet however I was quite aware that the poor thing was in huge amounts of pain and would probably have died en-route. As a rabbit owner myself it's the hardest thing i've had to do but I put it out of it's misery with the neck jerk method. It was a split second decision and although I feel like it was the right one, i'd like to know what you would do in the same circumstances.

Oh no i am sorry
If it were me (and ive done this before) i would have taken him to the nearest vet at least then i`d known i had tried to save him :) xxxxx

i would cry and panic and hopefully someone else would put it out of its misery.

i wish i could do it tho but i just know i would fail the poor animal :cry::cry::cry:

my brother had to end a birds life once because i was in too much of a panic trying to figure out how to get it to a vets :oops::oops:

I personally would have taken the rabbit to the vet - mainly because I have no idea how to do the neck jerk thing so would only mess it up and probably put the animal through pain.

I'm not sure which is ethically right - I guess you thought you were doing the right thing and you put the bun out its misery quick and fast and I think that's the most important thing.

If I had the guts to do it I would put it out of its misery, unfortunately I don't, so if Mike wasn't there ( he knows what to do) I would have to take it to the vet. In my mind though the less stressful way is best.

I think you 100% did the right thing for that bun. It would have been in horrific pain and if its back end was in such a bad way, along with the shock it would have died in agony anyway.
You are so brave to have done it, it must have been horrific :(:cry:
RIP little wildie xxxxxx

I don't want to get too graphic, but when I say the back end was obliterated, one leg had effectively been ripped off, the other was broken mid way and the spine was quite clearly broken, thinking back I'm surprised it hadn't died by the time I got to it.
The neck jerk is basically holding it by it's rear end and it's head and pulling apart with a swift motion something I've never had to do since Scouts, about 20 years ago.
Sorry for the post, it's just that i've been thinking about it all day :cry:

Awww, I think that was probably the right desicion, rather than prolonging the pain by taking it to the vets
but I am not a strong enough person to do that, then again rather than get it to a vet I'd stand crying, I wouldn't be much use

I do think it was probably the right decision, if it had been me I would have probably just stood there crying and dithering until the poor thing passed away because of the pain.

:( I really feel for you for having to make the decision.

I think you definitely did the right thing and I admire you for doing so. From your description I am sure the vet would have had no option but to pts anyway so you probably saved it from prolonged agony which was a blessing :(

I would have called my husband and asked him to do it because I have to admit that I wouldn't have known what to do. So sorry it had to happen and that you had to experience this. :(

Thanks for the support guys, the worse thing is, we reckon it was one of the number of wildies that occupy our back garden, there were only 7 out tonight instead of the usual 8. Not a good feeling and to be honest, i wish i'd not received that text.

Thanks donnamt, I think when you have buns of your own it increases your affinity with the wildies, I drive at 10mph along our lane these days because there are so many about. Fingers crossed I don't have to do this again.
RIP Little wildie

What a horrible situation, but I think that you can be safe in the knowledge that you made the right decision.

R.I.P Little bunny

And, for the record, I think you were very brave to make that decision , knowing that it was for the best

Back