• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, Whats Wrong With Lady?

I recently took on a rabbit from a collegue who has seemingly dropped of the face of the earth ironically. Ive had lady for about 5 months shes always been fine running round the garden and such. When i cleaned her hutch out i noticed lots of fur in her bed side and then i got her out today for exercise and shes got massive patches of hair missing?
Can anyone shed any light as to why this might be?:cry:
my little boy is upset that his is little lady is poorly :(

Where is the fur missing from? Do you know if she's neutered? If she hasn't been then she could be having s phantom pregnancy and pulling out the fur to make a nest?

She may still have a phantom pregnancy, where she thinks she is pregnant and builds a nest to prepare, hence pulling out the fur.

Sounds like she's having a phantom pregnancy - she believes she's pregnant even though she's not.
Has she been putting it in a specific place and moving her hay there too?
If she's not been neutered it would be an idea to get it done, it'll stop this behaviour and guard against uterine cancer which affects 80 % of does.

Its all in the bed bit of her hutch inter mingled into the hay. Is it dangerous or anything for them ? Do you know if its expensive?
Do you think i need to take her to th vet to make sure it is a phantom preg or monitor and see ?

Its all in the bed bit of her hutch inter mingled into the hay. Is it dangerous or anything for them ? Do you know if its expensive?
Do you think i need to take her to th vet to make sure it is a phantom preg or monitor and see ?

The prices can vary according to which vets you see. It can get distressing for them and the fur pulling can get excessive so I would def recommend you get her neutered. Make sure your vet is rabbit savvy - I can't see where you're from but if you put a thread on asking for recommendations in your area someone will be able to help and let you know how much they charge. Its worth it in long run for bun's health and possibly bigger vets bills if she develops cancer.
I would take her to the vets for a check up anyway and they'll be able to advise you more as well. Do you know which vet she was registered with when with your friend cos they could tell you if she's been done?

Last edited:
My advice would be to leave the 'nest' alone for a few days as she'll forget and lose interest in it.

As mentioned, prices vary but it is best to find a vet who knows what they are doing when it comes to spaying buns. It is quite a big op for a bunny but an extremely important one. That said, you bun will sail through the op with a rabbit savvy vet.

Hiya :wave:
Definatly get her spayed, the benefits outweight the risk tremendously as if shes left intact she has an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer aswell as experiencing more frustration and hormonal behaviour.

You will find on here that 99% (just a guess!) of us have our buns spayed and Ive only heard of a couple of instances where theres been some complications. With a good vet and some TLC from you afterwards (ask on here for aftercare advise if you're unsure) she should be fine :D

The owner isnt really the responsible pet owner type and hadnt even had the cat spayed never mind the rabbit and she isnt registered at the vets i checked
im going to take her in tommorow to see what they say hopefully if i can;

Lots of luck for the vet tomorrow. And as Gemma says we're all happy to give advice if you're unsure of anything.
BTW we love pics on here so can't wait to see some of Lady :D

Last edited:
Back