• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter trays

Grace65

Warren Veteran
What do we all clean our buns litter trays out with?
At the moment im using dettol and water, i used to use a mild bleach solution but was told the fumes could harm.

so whats your method? xxxxxxxxxx

I'm similar. Thumper's tray is arrangement is different from most. It's quite shallow. So it's cleaned with soap & water x1 -x2 a day & vinegar every 3rd. day.

Plain water & a scrub with an old nail brush every other day (newspaper soaks most of the wet up) and then hutch disinfectant or white vinegar a couple of times a week.

dont tell me im not doing right by using dettol eekk
Charlies tray gets really wet but gracies dosent, i put a whole newspaper in each tray and change 3 or 4 times a day but rinse out twice a day with hot water and dettol using a scourer. xxx

Oh right, does white vinegar kill the germs? xx

Yes and it removes staining/limescale etc fantastic stuff :D

I use kitchen towel or loo roll soaked in white vinegar inside a small freezer/sandwich bag applied to the end of tap spouts to remove limescale. Left for a few hours or even overnight the limescale just slides off. We're in a very hard water area so I do this about three times a year!

Yes and it removes staining/limescale etc fantastic stuff :D

I use kitchen towel or loo roll soaked in white vinegar inside a small freezer/sandwich bag applied to the end of tap spouts to remove limescale. Left for a few hours or even overnight the limescale just slides off. We're in a very hard water area so I do this about three times a year!

Excellent ive heard this is good on taps i just didnt realise it killed germs :)
I shall use vinegar then, would dettol be harmfull? ive always used it, just a small amount though and rinse well :) xxx

dont tell me im not doing right by using dettol eekk
Charlies tray gets really wet but gracies dosent, i put a whole newspaper in each tray and change 3 or 4 times a day but rinse out twice a day with hot water and dettol using a scourer. xxx

Vinegar is cheaper than dettol and will do the same job :D

With Dettol you need to ensure that everything has dried afterwards as it contains Benzal Komium (sp) chloride. This causes ulceration of mouth, tongue and oesophagus. Respiratory effects and is incredibly irritating to eyes.
If allowed to dry absolutely completely there shouldn't be a problem. If there is any dampness the rabbits should not have access.

With Bleach chlorine gas can be a problem, however if used outdoors and dried thoroughly this should not be a problem.

Off to tescos to get white vinegar then, i use a standard sized bottle of dettol a week at the mo :) xx

You won't need much of it either and tbh if you can't get white vinegar the normal stuff works just as well ;) You might find putting it into a trigger spray helps with the amount you use :)

With Dettol you need to ensure that everything has dried afterwards as it contains Benzal Komium (sp) chloride. This causes ulceration of mouth, tongue and oesophagus. Respiratory effects and is incredibly irritating to eyes.
If allowed to dry absolutely completely there shouldn't be a problem. If there is any dampness the rabbits should not have access.

With Bleach chlorine gas can be a problem, however if used outdoors and dried thoroughly this should not be a problem.

Oohh scary,
The vet said it was ok to use dettol xxxxx

You won't need much of it either and tbh if you can't get white vinegar the normal stuff works just as well ;) You might find putting it into a trigger spray helps with the amount you use :)

Im going to try this, im in leicester the same as you and we have awful hardwater and everything gets covered in limescale its vile. :) xxx

Back