• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daisy and Jester are with FHB U/D coming home today

giantbunnymummy

Warren Veteran
Daisy has had ongoing gut problems this year. It all started in January with uneaten caecotrophs and oddly shaped poos, which continued on and off until April, including one episode of stasis requiring a trip to the emergency vet and admission over night for syringe feeds and meds. She had quite a few appointments with my vet during that time and had dental checks, xrays and bloods done, but he couldn't find anything to account for it.

I thought she was over it as she's been absolutely fine since early May, but then she had another stasis episode two weeks ago. So today she's at FHB's for tests so hopefully we can discover what's causing her problems. Jester's gone too to keep her company.

FHB is calling tomorrow, so until then I've got no idea what tests she's doing or whether Daisy will need any treatment.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly and I can have my babies back asap - not enjoying being bunnyless and it's only been a few hours!

Last edited:
Aww at least they will be well looked after there. When we dropped Stew off the man delivering the veggies arrived - it was better than an aisle in Tesco!!! :) Vibes for Daisy xx

Last edited:
Oh no I didn't realise Daisy was still having problems :(

I hope it all goes well and that you get the answers you need to get Daisy back to full health x

I hope FHB manages to work out what's troubling Daisy & that they're both back home very soon. :love:

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

I'm really upset this morning - I phoned at 11am as i was asked to do expecting to speak to FHB about tests etc, and was instead told by the receptionist that Daisy is having syringe feeds and is on meds as she's not eating :cry:

I couldn't get the receptionist to understand that Daisy had arrived as a healthy bunny yesterday for tests, and hadn't been admitted because she was in stasis. She was quite rude to me really.

I suppose it must've been the stress of the journey, or being there overnight that has made Daisy unwell. I didn't even get a chance to ask how Jester was :(

I have to call back at 5pm to see how she is. I know she's in the best place for treatment but I can't help feeling really worried now :cry:

Thanks Liz and Donna :)

Turns out that Daisy's not in stasis after all - just had a long chat with FHB. They got the wrong rabbit!

Relief that she's ok (and Jester) and they are both merrily scoffing all their hay and 'eating them out of house and home' :)

On the other hand, not great news. FHB says she suspects chronic 'inflammatory bowel disease' / megacolon. She said Daisy definitely has bacteria in her poo that shouldn't be there. She's doing more bloods and will decide whether to xray too. She did say other option was surgery to remove a section of bowel for testing, but she didn't recommend it as it carried high risk.

She kept saying 'it's not good news' and that it would be a case of trying to manage Daisy's illness through diet (which she complimented me on for getting right with Daisy's current wild diet) and possible use of steroids and other meds in the future if/when she deteriorates.

We discussed Daisy's high temperature illness that she had when she was young, and she thought that it could well have a causal link to the development of bowel disease.

She's keeping the bunnies until at least Tuesday (when I'm speaking to her again) and will try out various foods on Daisy to see if anything in particular sets her off.

I will update with test results when I hear anything.

awww hun im sorry about the diagnosis, snowberry will be able to give you loads of advice im sure her bunny seems to be doing really well on her managed diet :love::love:

Just caught this thread, glad to hear that you are getting some answers for Daisy, even if they are not the best. I'm FHB will be able to help you come up with a feeding plan that will reduce Daisy's symptoms.

Sending lots of vibes for Daisy and you, I know how exhausting it can be when you are worried about a bunny!

Very big hugs.
I've been hoping & praying that Daisy was more treatable than Thumper, & shall continue to do so.

Thumper is 5 now & has had problems all his life, so there's always hope in there for us all.

With F H-B you've got the top bunny vet in the UK, & she really looks after the patients (& owners royally). However I know too well how empty one's life & house feels when the buns are away.
Everything crossed for you all from down here.

Such a relief she isn't in stasis at the moment, silly receptionist :roll:

I hope the condtion is a manageable one, and I am glad it is not a liver problem as I suspected.

Austin had similar problems and his case was refered to FHB, she advised us to cut out all pellets and give a very high fibre diet, including regular fibreplex

Sorry it's not better news but at least if you have answers you can give her the best for her, which you probably are doing already.

:oops: I do know which receptionist you mean as well. When I tried to move an appointment I was told 12.30 - take it or leave it :shock:

I suspect they have another rabbit in called Daisy but you'd think when you said she was in for tests only the penny would have dropped. You must have been caused a lot of unnecessary stress by that simple mistake :cry:

Eeeeek, it's kind of lucky that the other Daisy was *only* in stasis and hadn't died or something - could you imagine being told that by mistake. :shock: :? :?

I'm sorry to hear it wasn't better news for Daisy, but it sounds as though it can be managed and at least with a diagnosis you can all move forward. Hoping that Tuesday comes around quickly for you - you must be missing them both like crazy.

Poor Daisy. At least she is getting the very best care and you will be given the best possible advice on how to manage her condition.

Hope Daisy eats the receptionists chair :evil:

Back