• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wriggling Rabbits

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Well Dizzi and Rascal are 11 weeks old tomorrow and although they've both been handled every day since being old enough to be picked up they've both just decided over the last couple of days that they don't like it!

I've been trying to pick them up and give them a treat (ok a couple of pellets but they absolutely adore them) and then put them down and give them a treat, so they realise its not all bad!

But why have they just decided they don't like it? And is there something I can do to make them like it??

Last night Rascal acted like he might actually try and jump out of my arms whilst I was stood up!! :shock:

When I'm sat down in the run they hop up onto my knee, try and climb up me etc ....... as soon as I actually hold them though .... they wriggle like there's no tomorrow!!

I really want to be able to pick them up so's I can check their bums etc etc without traumatising them.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jo x

Thanks ......... I did try to check their bums whilst they were sat on my knee but they were still proper little wrigglers! lol

I'll keep on trying it that way then as I don't want to frighten them ... at least if I just handle them when they're on my knee, if they do make a break for it, they won't hurt themselves!

Bless 'em!

x

The same thing happened to me with Jess, joe wasn't a baby when we got him so I just put it down to not being used to being handled so I made a big effort with Jess to pick her up alot to get her used to it and the first few weeks she seemed to love it she'd even sit on my shoulder then one day - just didn't like it any more :cry: just like that, now she's a wriggly scratchy little madam, i'm lucky if i can catch her let alone pick her up :roll::lol:

Just be patient with them and encourage them on to your lap - with treats if necessary- and eventually they will come up for some noserubs and tickles, even if it doesn't extend to being picked up.

I'm not giving up with Jessie i always stroke her when she comes for her nuggets or veg.

Thanks, will do ........ they're all over me when they think I have food so I'll use that to my advantage .....hopefully they'll then feel really comfortable with me and won't mind me handling them now and then whilst they're there!

Dizzi seems to like nose rubs but Rascal doesn't really seem bothered ..... hopefully I'll be able to win him round tho!

Thing is, they're sooo cute I just want to squidge them all the time (in a nice way, not in a squidge you til you burst kinda way)! lol

xx

Pip was exactly the same, he is now 16 weeks and up until he was about 12 weeks he was fine then hormones came and he is proper bunster now but like you I can bribe him with food! :D

Back