• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sorry Keith...

rosiebunny

Mama Doe
Well, I'd held off on getting the Keiths knackers done. He had a bad tummy when I got him and given that he never sprays and is happy as an only bun the vet thought it was best to avoid the risk of the anaesthetic.
BUT I now know he pulls through an anaesthetic like a right little trooper, completely unbothered, and he is just a little too randy to be happy as he is so I think the vet will be more comfortable doing it now (he was also underweight the last time I asked, although putting it on, and he's fattened up now).
Also, seeing so many buns waiting for a forever home it seems silly not to see if he will make somebun the ideal husban that they have been waiting for.
I was a bit unsure that he'd accept another bunny, but if I do it right (and take him for a speed date session, lol!).
Obviously I'd have to wait a few months (I forget how long, is it 8 weeks?) after getting him done for everything to have errr gone away. I'd be looking to get a spayed a rescue girl, but I'd prefer that waiting period to be *extra* safe.
He has access to the entire house now, should I start shutting him out of one of/some of the rooms at some point so I can de-scent them, or will it make no difference because he'll remember it as his anyway?
Sorry I know this information is available elsewhere but I was just wondering what you guys think!

I think it takes three weeks for them to not be able to make a girl bun pregnant. But a lot longer for hormones to calm down. My Mischa calmed down pretty quick, within a few weeks but Smudge was still going strong two months later. He still gets a bit randy and we're about 8 months on!

I don't think it'll make a difference he probably will remember anyway. I would just scrub everything you can with vinegar and water to get rid of his scent :)

So glad you're getting him a wife :D

6-8 weeks I think :)

to be honest when i introduced my 2 to each other, i de-scented the bathroom as it is all tiles so was easy to wash down with a solution of vinegar, once i saw that they were happy together, i got one of my kids to watch them while i quickly de-scented the living room (tiles, painted walls and leather sofas) and set them up a neutral caged area, brought them downstairs and left them to it, not a single scuffle it was love at first sight!

dexter is an intact male, tinks was 3-4 weeks after her spay and itching to get out to free range again, so the timing was just right for mine, she needed company. he's humped her about a dozen times in all that i've seen in the very early days, now he just licks her all over all of the time and they sleep cuddled up together :love::love:

dexter is now about 8 months old and still no sign of his plums! :lol:

Plus some rescues will bond off site for you - can take the stress out of the process (for you) and often gets it done quicker as they're experienced which is obviously better for the buns ;)

Well, I'd held off on getting the Keiths knackers done. He had a bad tummy when I got him and given that he never sprays and is happy as an only bun the vet thought it was best to avoid the risk of the anaesthetic.
BUT I now know he pulls through an anaesthetic like a right little trooper, completely unbothered, and he is just a little too randy to be happy as he is so I think the vet will be more comfortable doing it now (he was also underweight the last time I asked, although putting it on, and he's fattened up now).
Also, seeing so many buns waiting for a forever home it seems silly not to see if he will make somebun the ideal husban that they have been waiting for.
I was a bit unsure that he'd accept another bunny, but if I do it right (and take him for a speed date session, lol!).
Obviously I'd have to wait a few months (I forget how long, is it 8 weeks?) after getting him done for everything to have errr gone away. I'd be looking to get a spayed a rescue girl, but I'd prefer that waiting period to be *extra* safe.
He has access to the entire house now, should I start shutting him out of one of/some of the rooms at some point so I can de-scent them, or will it make no difference because he'll remember it as his anyway?
Sorry I know this information is available elsewhere but I was just wondering what you guys think!

That made me lol :lol::lol::lol: sorry.

I now want Keiths wife to be a rex! And to call her Delia Smith!

Don't think I can get him done in the next few weeks as I am broke. And inbetween getting him done and getting him a wife I need to build up my vet-savings (emergency money for spending only in vet emergencies) to cover two buns, so hopefully his hormones will have settled down by then!

It'll be about 2 months then I reckon before getting the girl, which is good timing because the local pet shops have had a lot of rexes in recently :? so that's enough time for kids to get bored and buns end up in rescues... :cry:

Back