• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellets

I am after a bit advice, my rabbit just wont eat his pellets!!! he was eating the other cereal type, but i want to get him off that and onto pellets. Ive tried mixing pellets with his cereal but he eats the cereal and leaves all the pellets! IVe been trying to do this for about 4 weeks now, with no luck! CAn anyone offer me advice?

Keep trying!

When I moved Mischa from mix to pellets he refused them for ages. I did 75% mix, 25% pellets for a week, then 50/50 for another week, then 75% pellets and 25% mix for another week, then all pellets and he still held out on me but eventually he tried them and liked them.

i would get rid ot the other totally and leave the pellets in the bowl if they get eaten great if not all the more hay will be consumed :D

Alvin's quite stubborn with pellets but if given the choice them or nothing eventually he will give in...

as long as your bun is eating hay and veggies i wouldnt be too worried as the pellets are a minimal part of the diet anyhows :D

in his food tray now he has eaten all of the cereal and wont touch the pellets! he gets grumpy though when he hasnt had any cereal! i suppose i just need to leave it and hopefully he will do it eventually!!

i would get rid ot the other totally and leave the pellets in the bowl if they get eaten great if not all the more hay will be consumed :D

Alvin's quite stubborn with pellets but if given the choice them or nothing eventually he will give in...

as long as your bun is eating hay and veggies i wouldnt be too worried as the pellets are a minimal part of the diet anyhows :D

he has plenty or hay and veg, hes a greedy thing when i give him them! how much of the pellets is he supposed to have? hes nearly 7 months old. I feel evil starving him but i think thats the only way to make him eat pellets!

hes now at the age where pellets should be at a minimum. people tend to feed an egg cup full a day so i have read on this forum some feed slightly more some less, ive been told a small hand full once a day by the rescue owner who i got Holly from but i split the ration between two meals. breakfast and bedtime. my pair share a 10ml measure of pellets twice a day but mine is so low because Holly does excess poops and Alvin has a stasis prone tummy.

Only indoor buns need a few pellets for the Vit.D3 for bone strength.
Outdoor buns get enough sunlight to make their own vit D3.
When I was a child there wasn't dry rabbit feed. They lived outdoors on grass, hay, a few coarse veg leaves. My Peter lived to be 13 without a days illness in his life. :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Only indoor buns need a few pellets for the Vit.D3 for bone strength.
Outdoor buns get enough sunlight to make their own vit D3.
When I was a child there wasn't dry rabbit feed. They lived outdoors on grass, hay, a few coarse veg leaves. My Peter lived to be 13 without a days illness in his life. :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Mylo is an indoor rabbit. i think i have been giving him too many pellets which is lookin why hes not eatin many. So is it best to give him plenty of hay and veg aswell as a handful of pellets?

Mainly a good quality hay to keep his gut in good condition.
He can have most of our culinary herbs (except chives) as part of his greens too.
Some folk say only 1-2 egg cupfuls of pellets.

Mylo is an indoor rabbit. i think i have been giving him too many pellets which is lookin why hes not eatin many. So is it best to give him plenty of hay and veg aswell as a handful of pellets?

How much are you feeding him? pellet wise?

My two are indoor rabbits aswell and were on quite alot of pellets and less amount of veg and hay (although they did get veg and hay ofc). I completely changed that round a few months back, and it has really improved their health. They hated it at first, as they are completely fattybums and love their pellets but they were soon scoffing the hay and veggies like no ones buisness :D
Oggie only has a small handful of pellets but Delila has a big handful as she loses weight ect ect ect.

How much are you feeding him? pellet wise?

My two are indoor rabbits aswell and were on quite alot of pellets and less amount of veg and hay (although they did get veg and hay ofc). I completely changed that round a few months back, and it has really improved their health. They hated it at first, as they are completely fattybums and love their pellets but they were soon scoffing the hay and veggies like no ones buisness :D
Oggie only has a small handful of pellets but Delila has a big handful as she loses weight ect ect ect.

Pellet wise prob just over a hand full, its hard to say tho cos its been mixed in with his cereal up to now.

Mainly a good quality hay to keep his gut in good condition.
He can have most of our culinary herbs (except chives) as part of his greens too.
Some folk say only 1-2 egg cupfuls of pellets.

id have never have thought of giving him herbs, might give them a try!

That's really interesting cos when Mini dislocated her hip she was on mix.

TBH I give the current basic advice when posting on here.
Mix has vitamin additives too. There's concern that a few buns select out what they want, & leave the rest, so they may miss out on their vit. supplement.
Wild buns get all they need from grasses & a few wild plants. Same with domestic buns. But wild buns do get sunlight. They lie up at the entrance to their burrows by day.

Which pellets are you trying? May be worth trying a few different types to see if there's one he prefers. Science Selective do a handy small bag of pellets for about £2 so not too much wasted if he won't eat them. Not sure about Burgess Excel as I don't buy it.

Otherwise as people have said the more nice quality hay he gets inside him, the better :wave:

When i got charlie home he had been used to the museli stuff but i did it gradually hes now on selective science, give it time :) xxxxxx

Back