• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed- broken toes.

Starlight

Warren Veteran
As some of you know, Strawberry, an eight week old baby here broke her two toes a little over a week ago when she arrived. Instead of operating, they said she had to be confined for cage rest for a week.

she has been in a pet voyager 300 (large carrier) for that duration.
I put her in a small indoor cage today, and she keeps jumping up the bars to the roof, and jumping at the bars and hanging on..

What can I do to stop her?
Will it ruin any progress with her toes?

She can't stay confined to a large carrier for now realistically as it is drving her insane :(

One of my boys dislocated his toe. The vet put an elastic type bandage on and when we got home he went mad and ran round violently until he got it off. It was really distressing to watch. I decided just to leave it and although his nail grows straight out it doesn't seem to cause him a problem at all. He is older though.

Sounds like he might do more damage being confined! they don't usually set human toes, so I think I would just put him in a normal cage.

I'm not sure, tbh :? when Smudge broke his metatarsal just in front of the toe joint, the vet ordered that he be confined to a cage for about 3 weeks so I don't know if 1 week would be enough for 2 toes to set (not a vet though to know for sure)

I confined him to an area 3ft x 3ft after buying this pen*from Argos, where the wire panels consist of mostly vertical wires which prevented him climbing it and/or getting his poorly toe caught after the bandage was removed. I forced myself to do it since the vet scared me by suggesting that continuing to allow him to use it could result in an unsuccessful heal and arthritus (and possibly amputation) may be a risk later on in life :? It took him a couple of days to calm down in there, but he sat mostly quietly for the remainder of his confinement as long as he had some things to chew on.

(*I appreciate that 3x3 is not such a confined space to a young/small bun as it is to a fully grown medium bun, but it might at least be a happy medium?)

Last edited:
Did they splint her foot to provide stability? I don't know if it is necessary with broken toes but my bunny Smokey had her foot crushed(we still don't know how it happened) when she was about 12 weeks. Because it was so bad it couldn't be surgically repaired they splinted it and let it calcify. Anyway, When she was getting frustrated at being confined, I would let her out in an unfamilar area so she could walk around and investigate but she wouldn't go too crazy because she was unsure of the enviroment. Good luck with your little Strawberry, poor sweetie. You just feel so bad for them:(

Back